First timers Nuvo 10 Build!

Blaze0303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just starting a thread for building a Nuvo 10 reef. A little about me, this will be my first saltwater setup and I have bit of experience with fresh water. For the last few weeks I've been doing tons of research which brought me to this forum which has been awesome so far. So here's the idea for my tank.

The tank will be home to 2 clowns, GSP and some LPS, plus cleanup crew. No plans for SPS

Tank- Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 (8W 13-92 GPH Return Pump)
Light- Used black AI Prime (crosses fingers)
Substrate- 10lbs Live Sand
Live rock- Still unsure on how much to use...any help here?
Heater- None for right now, i'll monitor temps to see if I need one in the future
Skimmer- Not sure about this one yet, I'm hearing most nano skimmers suck

Spin stream nozzle - It needs at least 56gph and my tank maxes at 92, so this is a toss up since it'll also drop my pump speed, maybe add a nano circulation powerhead?

Also, should I get a custom media basket, or the filter sock...both?!

I'll be buying most of this stuff this Friday, so any input before then will be greatly appreciated!

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the measurements of your tank and have your lfs or where you buy the rock to aquascape it so you know how it might look in the tank . Be sure to leave room for your corals etc. I hear the spin stream can be a little noisy .

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with setting up, you will need to get 2 very small clowns if you want to keep them for maybe a year, just my opinion but that is way to small for a pair of clowns.
1 of my tanks is about 13 G and has been running for 8 or 10 years, I wouldn't put a clown in it due to size.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of small blenny, great characters and natural algae grazers. I have a little midnight blenny in mine and a green coral goby (but not if you fancy trying sps).

OP
OP
Blaze0303

Blaze0303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Question!

I'm buying the custom caddy for the tank, what should I run in it? Filter floss, Carbon and...?

OP
OP
Blaze0303

Blaze0303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go! Here's a few photos of what I did tonight. I got the Tank, live rock, custom caddy, live sand, AI prime, 50 watt heater, chemipure blue and filter floss. Right now i'm just using the media sock while the cloud settles then I plan on switching to the caddy with chemipure and floss. Is this correct, is there anything else I should be doing right now?

IMG_20160812_192416_zps8srf9pju.jpg

Getting my live rock sorted.
IMG_20160812_194655_zpssjirkpsl.jpg

Cloudy mess
IMG_20160812_205021_zpsailfvgco.jpg

Spin Stream works like a champ!
IMG_20160812_205159_zpshqujvnhs.jpg

Finally all done for now.
IMG_20160812_212915_zpsifaub21i.jpg

OP
OP
Blaze0303

Blaze0303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried a spin stream, makes a lot of sense in a small tank, how is the flow?

Its pretty awesome, it'll only get better when I change the return to something a little more powerful. The only flow issue it might have is directly underneath it since it's at the corner of the tank and placed fairly high. My biggest problem though is the price, $25 is more than some pumps... Lucky I got mine used.

OP
OP
Blaze0303

Blaze0303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed the return to the Cobalt MJ600 and the flow in the tank is much improved. I've been using seachem stability and so far so good, water's been testing great. If it is still good, CUC will happen friday.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Congrats on joining to most fun and addicting forum of the universe, please be patient and refrain from exiting this roller coaster of a hobby. Remember to keep your legs and arms inside the ride at all times! Especially your ground probes and heaters! Lol If you get stuck or in line to get on the ride please be patient! Now in all seriousness, patience is a huge thing in this hobby. Can't wait to see some more pics!

OP
OP
Blaze0303

Blaze0303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks not so lonely anymore, after monitoring my water for the last 2 weeks a clown and softie were added to the tank. Softie came from a friends tank, he's pretty sure its a rhodactis. Can anyone confirm? Also looks like I might have to move it, it opened up much bigger than I thought it would.

IMG_20160822_175409_zpsttgsku6z.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back