Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters

Salinity 1.026

Nitrates 4 ppm

Phosphate 2 ppm

Temp 76*

Just got My first pricey piece of coral and want to make sure everything goes right with this, my flow is mid range just need some tips on care and what should I look out for these next couple days

IMG_6222.jpeg

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave him alone and let him find his spot, they can walk all pver the tank until the perfect spot is found in lighting and flow.
Torches can leave the frag? I didn’t know that they have the similar features of an anemone

HNR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches can leave the frag? I didn’t know that they have the similar features of an anemone
No. They like medium light and low-medium flow. If it’s open it’s happy.

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about that....
I was so confused lol… I did a little research I’m definitely going to need a wave maker asap my return pump seems like it got weaker I got a Fluval evo 13.5 I definitely need to clean it… I also had a pump beforehand but it was way too strong and blew all my sand all over the tank so if you have any recommendations for a weaker pump lmk

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here to mention a few things others didnt

You will need to pick up different test kits in order to test alk mag and calc. First coral, I wouldn’t exactly recommend but it’s not impossible to take care of either. Also may I ask how old the tank is?

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here to mention a few things others didnt

You will need to pick up different test kits in order to test alk mag and calc. First coral, I wouldn’t exactly recommend but it’s not impossible to take care of either. Also may I ask how old the tank is?
Around 5months old I’m going in my local lfs to get test kits today and a wave maker for the torch at petsmart because every other pump I looked at is way too powerful for my tank

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medium light and medium flow. Keep nitrates and phosphates up . Higher is better than lower. Nitrates 10-15 and phosphates .08-.1
Gotcha I’m getting a new fish next week to help raise nitrates I also started dosing coral amino and that started to help boost my phosphates also

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medium/Medium strong random flow and medium to medium strong lighting. Magnesium can be up to 1500 or so. I have to admit I pay less attention to Nitrate and phosphate than I probably should. My torches are in PAR anywhere from 145 to over 300 . The ones in higher PAR seems brighter but the ones in lower still look happy

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start by saying torches are hard to keep even for experienced reef keepers.

One advise I'll give that I haven't seen given yet especially if you plan on getting more euphyllias, try to get your hand on ciprofloxacin. It's an antibiotic that works on brown jelly disease.

I have a few hammers and torches, at any signs of trouble on any of these corals, I dose my entire tank with Cipro. It's safe for the tank and will prevent brown jelly from taking out all your euphyllias.

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t skip waterchanges/tank maintenance and keep an eye on parameter fluctuations.

Alkalinity swings can wreak havoc on torches but can take afew weeks for the damage to become noticable. I personally would get phosphates lower, keep nitrates no higher than 20ppm at most (assuming your only keeping softies/lps).

Cipro is handy to have for emergency’s, but keeping on top of your parameters is key to keeping them healthy/happy. Inspect and if possible quarantine any new hammers/torches you purchase.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches are generally pretty tolerant to higher flow and higher lighting, so you should be good. I think Torches are pretty easy to keep as long as your nutrients aren't too low. Some folks struggle with Torches, so you'll want to give it time before buying more and see how it goes.

Try to keep them away from Hammers and Frogspawn and pretty much anything else. They will sting and kill their neighbours.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 5months old I’m going in my local lfs to get test kits today and a wave maker for the torch at petsmart because every other pump I looked at is way too powerful for my tank
Hygger makes a great small tank wave maker that is adjustable and affordable. I’ve been running the larger one for a year and a half and really like it.
7A4BE953-860E-46E9-9BA9-6A45A322F903.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back