First Velvet Fish

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and there it was. My bicolor is coated in a bronze color sheen. Wow, it is unmistakable. Velvet for sure. If this is how velvet typically presents itself, you cannot confuse is for ich.

He came from the store about a week ago symptom free. I have had him in sub theraputic copper since then, because my first priority was to get him eating. I guess that changed this morning. I have started a steep ramp in cupramine. We will see what happens.

Any suggestions on what else I should be doing?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture? Velvet presents as a lot of very small dots all over the fish. A coated sheen sounds more like brook to me.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can appear as a goldish dusting early on. Then the white powdered sugar looking spots are the irritation where the entrance wounds are.

You can perform a 5min FW dip to remove most of the attached trophonts and a 90 minute bath in acriflavine (Ruby Reef Rally). This is an antiseptic and can help prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can appear as a goldish dusting early on. Then the white powdered sugar looking spots are the irritation where the entrance wounds are.

You can perform a 5min FW dip to remove most of the attached trophonts and a 90 minute bath in acriflavine (Ruby Reef Rally). This is an antiseptic and can help prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

I guess I should never be so 'sure' of anything. But the goldish dusting is exactly how I would describe it. I have never done a FW dip before. I'll need to wrap my head around that one. But I guess I dont have time to waste.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very interesting! Would definitely like to see a picture...

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should never be so 'sure' of anything. But the goldish dusting is exactly how I would describe it. I have never done a FW dip before. I'll need to wrap my head around that one. But I guess I dont have time to waste.
As @HotRocks posted the key to success here is to immediately move the fish from the FW dip into the Ruby Reef Rally bath. Humblefish discovered that this greatly improved the survival of fish treated this way. Then into a QT ramping up the copper within 48 hours to therapeutic levels. Several small doses of copper spread out AM, lunch, PM, etc. is way easier on the fish than just a couple of large doses. Suggest Copper Power and a Hanna HL Copper Checker to get the most accurate dosing = peace of mind and lower stress for both you and your fish.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and there it was. My bicolor is coated in a bronze color sheen. Wow, it is unmistakable. Velvet for sure. If this is how velvet typically presents itself, you cannot confuse is for ich.

He came from the store about a week ago symptom free. I have had him in sub theraputic copper since then, because my first priority was to get him eating. I guess that changed this morning. I have started a steep ramp in cupramine. We will see what happens.

Any suggestions on what else I should be doing?
Sorry to hear about you new angel and the dreaded velvet. Seems like every dwarf angel I've seen in LFS for quite awhile has active infection of either Ich or Velvet. :(

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about you new angel and the dreaded velvet. Seems like every dwarf angel I've seen in LFS for quite awhile has active infection of either Ich or Velvet. :(

Thanks. Hopefully I caught it early. Did the FW dip. Always been afraid to do that. Turned out to be no big deal, but that is probably because I left the room. Found flukes. So I treated with Prazi. Copper is now at theraputic levels. I dont have any ruby reef, so I guess I will have to take my chances. No luck with a picture. I will keep trying.

Now I will just have to wait and see. He doesnt look happy about anything.:mad:

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See above. Note the dusting on the blue coat. You cant see it but there is redness where his fin attaches to his body.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor is not looking good. My guess is that if the velvet does not kill him by tomorrow, the copper will.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor ;Dead less than 12 hours after velvet diagnosis. I am now O for 2 on dwarf angels. I guess my next try will be immediate FW dip followed by slow ramp to full theraputic copper. No other meds until the dwarf is past the copper.

Unless there are any other thoughts? I am determined to get a dwarf into DT.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you’re supposed to mix copper and prazipro.... I might be mistaken....

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard it was OK if you kept your airation up.
The risk with mixing the two is it can and will cause bacterial blooms. Which consume even more oxygen.

If you HAVE to mix, General Cure is much safer to mix with copper. Since it's a powder form and a slightly lower concentration than liquid Prazipro it is much less likely to cause a bloom. It is still a possibility, and oxygen exchange is still a critical component when combining praziquantel + copper.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk with mixing the two is it can and will cause bacterial blooms. Which consume even more oxygen.

If you HAVE to mix, General Cure is much safer to mix with copper. Since it's a powder form and a slightly lower concentration than liquid Prazipro it is much less likely to cause a bloom. It is still a possibility, and oxygen exchange is still a critical component when combining praziquantel + copper.

Ugh. 500 ways to screw it up and 1 to get it right.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't be the last time u see velvet...It seems to be making a bit of a comeback...I see alot of fish in my LFS tanks come in with it...stock up on the CP fellas.....

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 ^^^ exactly

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 9.7%
Back