Fish after cycling my tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redbird5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Redbird5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
799
Reaction score
443
Location
Metro East St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm halfway through my cycle, I think. The ammonia is going down and the Nitrites are spiking. I plan on waiting another two weeks to add fish.

Yesterday when I went to the LFS a longnose hawkfish, which has been on my list of fish to get was making eyeballing me. He's been watching me whenever I go there. I believe he wants to come home to live.

Once the nitrites drop to 0, I'll add my fish and shrimp from me nano aquarium to my big aquarium. Is it OK to add the ln hawkfish next or should I add something like firefish and a hifin goby first? Would the ln hawkfish be able to survive as the second fish added? Or would it be smarter to add a heartier fish in first right after the cycle?
 
Ammonia is .50, so close but no cigar. I'm guessing next week I will be fine.
depends on what ammonia test you are using you may be 0 now alot of the tests give a false positive Hanna ammonia for example gives a 0.25 false positive
 
I have added longnose hawkfish early on in my tanks without issue. I have had a couple over the years in various tanks and never had one eat any of my large shrimp. This is especially true if the fish is on the smaller side. Mine only seems to eat mysis shrimp as well. Are you adding any live rock from your Nano tank to help with the bacteria?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new