Fish Analysis Paralysis

  • Thread starter Thread starter surlytx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
137
Reaction score
158
Location
Benbrook
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is an IM 40 Fusion and just went past the 100 year mark. I have 3 Mexican barnacle blennies that are doing great. I'd like to add some appropriate sized free swimmers to add some color and movement - and the analysis paralysis takes over and I can't decide after doing research - some much conflicting information! Please pitch in and help me come to a decision.

My short list:

Damselfish - Blue Green Chromis
Damselfish - Azure
Damselfish - Springeri

Cardinalfish - Banggai
Cardinalfish - Pajama
Cardinalfish - Red Stop Light

Thanks in advance for the input.
 
My tank is an IM 40 Fusion and just went past the 100 year mark. I have 3 Mexican barnacle blennies that are doing great. I'd like to add some appropriate sized free swimmers to add some color and movement - and the analysis paralysis takes over and I can't decide after doing research - some much conflicting information! Please pitch in and help me come to a decision.

My short list:

Damselfish - Blue Green Chromis
Damselfish - Azure
Damselfish - Springeri

Cardinalfish - Banggai
Cardinalfish - Pajama
Cardinalfish - Red Stop Light

Thanks in advance for the input.
I’d personally add a school of Blue/Green Chromis and a nice red/orange fish with them like the Red StopLight Cardinal as they will just bring eachother out. I’d maybe do a group of 10 each depending on other tank mates.

I think Chromis are under appreciated when alone. When with a red or orange fish like anthias their colours are 10x nicer.
 
You’re not going to get much movement with cardinal fish.

As far as damsels, I think the Azures are the most peaceful from your list. I’d push for a Starcki damsel or two, but they run quite expensive. Just know that if you go with Pomacentrids, you’ll eventually end up with two (max) at the end.

Have you considered any fairy or flasher wrasses? Grammas are also great community fish that might meet your criteria.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new