Fish are scared of me

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pinkbar goby, firefish, Clownfish, and 2 chromis. I've had them since October and they are still scared of me whenever I go up to the tank to feed. When I was into FW before, my fish always followed my hand when I went up to feed. Is this normal behavior or something else?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for the firefish, but everyone else in the tank should be pretty eager to see you.

Is it in area of a lot of activity or loud noises? This can keep them skittish.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd feed my shrimp by hand that way he has no choice but to go to me ;p the other fish don't seem to care good or bad. I know my freshwater oscar totally goes up to the glass and points hit nose at the surface for me to feed him.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Human are being recognized as predators. In the animal world, predatory species have eyes on the same side. Fish probably recognize that. Therefore, I suggest to approach your fish tank side ways and look at them from the side as well.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd feed my shrimp by hand that way he has no choice but to go to me ;p the other fish don't seem to care good or bad. I know my freshwater oscar totally goes up to the glass and points hit nose at the surface for me to feed him.
Whenever I'm doing some maintenance in the tank, my peppermints will usually clean under my nails while I'm working

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are very eager to see me come feeding time and they all gather up front and center for rollcall, but whenever I have my hands in the tank for cleaning etc... you wouldn't even know that I have a Whitetail bristle tooth Tang or a Yellow Tang they are so well hidden .... my Bellus Angel and my clown fish are not as skittish, they will swim right past my hands but the big guys, they are chickens!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a diamond goby like this. He bolts anytime I get near the tank. My wrasses all love me. LOL I think it's because my diamond goby jumped during acclimation and I am the one that picked him up off the floor and dumped him back in the tank...so I think he blames me for the whole ordeal and is holding a grudge. LOL

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish were like that. I fed them with my fingers trailing in the tank. soon enough they were begging whenever I'm near the tank. Which is cool for kids and adults not coral crazy. But trying to show off the growth of a coral....

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish did this until I spent a few weeks just with the room lights off but the tank lights on. They seemed less frightened when they can see me in lower lighting. Now they have gotten used to me.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back