Fish Beat Up Out Of Nowhere

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home to find my bangai cardinal beat up. Honestly, it looks like he got caught in a powerhead, but I only have gyres and I don’t think he could get caught. His fins are all torn up and the right eye is severely damaged and swollen. Unfortunately, I don’t think he’s going to make it. I decided to move him to a small (low flow) tank I have set up for 2 small clowns. Really didn’t want to cause more stress, but with him getting blown around in the powerheads, I thought it was the best move.

Anyway I have no idea what happened. No new fish and no signs of aggression up to this point. Tank is a 93 cube with another cardinal (they were a pair), clownfish, potters angel, one spot foxface, and striped blenny pair. Just thought I’d share.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He evidently ticked someone off.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a setup that can be medicated I would recommend you try treating him with Erythromycin and maracyn 2 if you can get your hands on it. The erythromycin works well on eye injuries while the maracyn 2 would help to treat any infection on the fins.
If you can't medicate you can try dosing Epsom salt (1 tbsp per 5g) to bring down the swelling on the eye, but it won't treat for any infection.
Do you have any pictures of the little guy?
How long did you have the bangai pair, and do you know for certain they were a pair when purchased?

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll see if I can get a photo.

I’ve had them for about 6 months. Bought from divers den as a bonded pair.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st guess is the other Bangai flipped and went postal, second, one of the other fish did it. If he makes it you can try and put it back in the display and maybe it won't happen again.
Around 2 months ago my sargassum trigger decided he was gonna go after the smaller bluejaw trigger, this after being together for almost a year. It was ww3 like all day and all over the tank you could here the battle royal behind the rocks even. Luckily I was off this day and threw some fish food in there every hour since it was the only thing that would give the smaller bluejaw a break from the onslaught. The sargassum was even searching and finding him in the rock work(I have a ton). Figured it wasn't gonna end well but the next day the onslaught ended, not sure what started the battle but it ended as fast as it started.

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he didn’t make it

My 1st guess is the other Bangai flipped and went postal, second, one of the other fish did it. If he makes it you can try and put it back in the display and maybe it won't happen again.
Around 2 months ago my sargassum trigger decided he was gonna go after the smaller bluejaw trigger, this after being together for almost a year. It was ww3 like all day and all over the tank you could here the battle royal behind the rocks even. Luckily I was off this day and threw some fish food in there every hour since it was the only thing that would give the smaller bluejaw a break from the onslaught. The sargassum was even searching and finding him in the rock work(I have a ton). Figured it wasn't gonna end well but the next day the onslaught ended, not sure what started the battle but it ended as fast as it started.
Fish are weird :confused:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back