Fish building/man cave build!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try this again.

A lot of plans changed after I started a thread about getting a fish building/man cave so I am starting over and had the other thread deleted.

I am getting a 10x20 custom made building delivered in a couple months to house a 12 foot long planted angel tank, a couple of frag tanks and a Red Sea reefer 625XXL I got a great deal on last night.

I am starting the thread now because, the RS tank will replace my current 240 gallon tank as soon as my buddy picks it up so I have to set up the 625XXL to hold everything until the building is delivered and all the finishing work is done.

Here is a list of what will be done to the building:

Mini-split system capable of 600 square feet
humidity actuated exhaust fan
Multiple outlets added to what will already be there along with associated wiring and breakers
Insulation and waterproof 5.3mm plywood on the walls then primed and painted.
Custom built in desk and shelves for three 3d printers and supplies

The 12 foot tank measures 144" x 16 x 18 and holds approximately 140 gallons. I am modding the drains and returns to use two canister filters and a UV filter.

The RS 625XXL will have the drains adapted to imperial piping so I can use my fijicube 36 sump. I built a custom acrylic topoff that will be used on it and auto filled from my boosted RODI

I already ordered the adapters and modded the stand with steel to prevent droop. I hate the look of the retrofit kit Red Sea sends out to fix the potential sag.

I will be painting the inside of the cabinet white this weekend with Krylon fusion satin white after a good cleaning and making sure it's good and dry.

Also going to go ahead and install led lighting to the cabinet while it's easy to get into this weekend.

Here is a shot of the 12 foot tank when it was in my store before it closed:

12foot.jpg

This will be a months long build but, I will keep you posted and see it through to the end.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first read the title of this post, I looked at it quick, and I thought it said your fish was building a man cave LOL
LOL. I have had some gobies with some pretty sweet caves. I am sure they were proud.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran out of paint. Will grab more in the morning and finish up the painting. Then I will install the cabinet lighting.

I need to clean up a few things and then wait for the adapters for the drains to come in.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished painting. Not in a good place to take a pic. It's a 5 foot paint job but it'll do. The purpose was to make it look like less of a cave under the tank. ;)

The adapters come in Tuesday and I will get the tank on the stand to mock up plumbing then.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to pull the trigger on some surge protectors and what did I find in a box in the storage closet?

Two of these:

tripplite.jpg

They have 12 outlets in the back and one in the front and never been used.

Plenty of powah for the sytem. I can use the front outlets for a shop vac or emergency pump.

I will fab up some aluminum mounts.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Long time, no talk to. I am confused (as always).

Where is the planted tank at now, shop? I love the floors. Also, gave up the 240 for a RSR? (I just don’t like RSR, but I agree) . And did you see the second line on your power supply, indoors/dry. Your gonna void the warranty :D

Can’t wait for Pics.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Long time, no talk to. I am confused (as always).

Where is the planted tank at now, shop? I love the floors. Also, gave up the 240 for a RSR? (I just don’t like RSR, but I agree) . And did you see the second line on your power supply, indoors/dry. Your gonna void the warranty :D

Can’t wait for Pics.

It has been a long time!

The planted tank got sold when the store closed but, he can't set it up so I am getting it back for what I sold it for.

I only had the 240 for a tang addiction. Four of which had a battle royale and they died.

The power supplies will be in the dry side of the stand and up at the top to avoid moisture. I am also going to put in an exhaust fan in the cabinet to keep it as dry as possible.

BTW, what don't you like about RSR?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a long time!

The planted tank got sold when the store closed but, he can't set it up so I am getting it back for what I sold it for.

I only had the 240 for a tang addiction. Four of which had a battle royale and they died.

The power supplies will be in the dry side of the stand and up at the top to avoid moisture. I am also going to put in an exhaust fan in the cabinet to keep it as dry as possible.

BTW, what don't you like about RSR?

I was just joking around about the power supply. You should see where I just hung my power bar. It DEFINITELY IS NOT above the sump o_O

RSR are great. I am just really old school. I am racist against those all in one, combo, prebuilt, or anything other than those tanks that come with more than a tank, light and hood. A Marineland tank, stand and canopy combo is about as far as I go.:eek:

I‘m just wacky. Keep the pics coming. I have a dream one day of having enough money to do a tank like in dispicable me. Surrounds the couch in the living room.

1630794136592.jpeg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome! Quiet down shark!

Got the lights installed in the stand. Pay no attention to the floor of the stand it will be covered with vinyl. For some reason the paint in the photo looks really blotchy but not in person.

stand lights.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start on the floating canopy.

The lights I have available are:

2 - Kessil A360x with spectral controller
2 - A160WE with spectral controller
2 - A150 Deep Ocean blue
3 - AI primes (actually 4 but one is messed up)
4 - pop bloom lights
A bunch of DIY stuff

My thoughts are to start with the two A360X and, if need be, put in the two A160WE. The way I am building the canopy lends itself to positioning the lights multiple different ways.

I also picked up an Aquatic Life 100 GPD RODI today with new filters. I am going to use my buddy booster pump with it.

I have two RO buddy units and one of them will wind up having the DI taken off and just used to supply water to the planted tank.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
following along the MANCAVE build here.
nice to see you back in action.. :cool:

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new RODI unit installed with my booster pump except for the supply hookup. (Washer is running)

I am expecting to get 100+ gallons per day out of this setup.

I was getting 83 out of the 75 GPD setup so I should be good.

This whole setup will be moved to the building when it's done and the old RO buddies will be repurposed for ice maker and planted tank after the DI sections are removed. Although, if this new one cranks out as much I think, I will just put in a T before the DI section and run the planted tank off the same one.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the floating canopy assembled.

I cut the inset to inlay a fish tile. I have a few extra and may put one in the center door.

It's not sanded yet so ignore the rough edges.

tileinsetrough.jpg

The tile is just sitting there right now. It will be sitting flush when I put adhesive on it.

tiletestfit.jpg

Next up sanding, filling and painting.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 20mm 8020 in today and the t nuts.

I fabbed this up real quick:

kessilbrackettest.jpg

The center is a counter sunk m5X10mm taper head bolt that will thread into an m5 T nut.

This is what it looks like mounted to the 8020:

kessilbrackettop.jpg

kessilbracketside.jpg

I just need to make a second one (for now) and smooth the corners and edges. No need to paint because you won't see them anyway.

BTW, it doesn't look like it but there is plenty of room to turn the knobs.

I have enough aluminum to make 12 of them and it cost $7.99 at tractor supply.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%

Back