fish catching/moving....

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been in the process of moving all of our livestock from our old 180 and 75 to our new prop tanks at our apt (3 miles away). We're almost done and lately I've been catching the fish and moving them.

It took me over an hour yesterday to catch 6 fish from our 75 and that was using a crystal clear acrylic container and there's no live rock in the tank, just sand. Some of my fish banged themselves up from getting freaked out as well.

The past few weeks I've been thinking how I'm going to catch the fish in our 180 (and dreading it) because its a few tangs and a big peppermint hog, both of which are pretty smart/fast.

So tonight after coming home from seeing the Simpson's movie (so freakin funny!!), I had to pick up some RO water from the old place. I turned on the T5's over the 180 so I could see what I was doing. While I was waiting on the water to fill, I had a EPIPHANY!! :D

I was feeling bad for turning on the lights cause they'd been off for a good 3 hours and all my fish were looking really spaced out from being woken up.

Then I started thinking, hmm I wonder if I can catch some of them........ I started with my school of 12 blue eyed cardinals, then got my mimic tang, on to the Hippo tang, and even got my Peppermint hog (woo hoo!).
It took me just over 30 minutes to catch everyone. God knows how long this would have taken me with the lights on. Most of the fish were so spaced out that I was able to catch them by hand and didn't even have to use the acrylic container.

Wish I had thought of this sooner!!! :hammer:
So take it from me, next time you have to do some fish moving, do it about 3-4 hours after your lights have been off and you'll save yourself a big headache.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back