Fish Compatibility in a 150gallon tank

Glitch581132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 150 gallon tank at home and I am wondering if I can put these fish together and how many more I can fit.

1 Flame Angel
1 Spottail Gudgeon
1 Powder Purple Tang
1 Twin Spot Wrasse
11 Harptail Blennies
2 Sunburst Anthias
1 Redtail Tarmarin Wrasse
1 Achilles Tang
1 Firefish Goby
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Porcupine Puffer
5 Sergeant Major Damsels
2 Bullet Hole Clowns
1 French Angel
1 Naoko Fairy Wrasse
1 Lyretail Hogfish
2 White Candylactis Anemones
1 Beaded Aurora Sand Anemone

Last edited:

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'powder purple' (actually a white cheek x powder blue hybrid) should be the only tang in the tank, so that rules out the achilles. This fish should also be added last. I would be hesitant to add one sergent major, let alone 11. They get large and aggressive. Porcupine puffers get massive, and are too large for this system. Same goes for the french angel. All the other fish should get along fine, given enough territory is provided.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
G

Glitch581132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'powder purple' (actually a white cheek x powder blue hybrid) should be the only tang in the tank, so that rules out the achilles. This fish should also be added last. I would be hesitant to add one sergent major, let alone 11. They get large and aggressive. Porcupine puffers get massive, and are too large for this system. Same goes for the french angel. All the other fish should get along fine, given enough territory is provided.
Would a 200 gallon tank be better then? And it’s called a powder purple on the Canada Corals site so I just called it that here. I messed up by accident the amount of Sergeant Majors and Blennies should be switched

Last edited:
Upvote 0

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix tangs (not the PB and the Achilles) just try and add them at the same time and get only one of each type (zebrasoma, acanthurus, ctenochaetus). People have success with some of the same type but I’d not gamble on it too often.

Upvote 0

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a 200 gallon tank be better then? And it’s called a powder purple on the Canada Corals site so I just called it that here. Also the Sergeant Majors are Damsels I should’ve clarified
a 200 might work, but it depends on the dimensions. For an achilles an 8' tank is best, same for the french angel and puffer. And although the sergeant majors are damsels, they are among the largest and most territorial. They get up to 6" and mean

Upvote 0

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank foot print, except that my tank height is only 22inch. You want to put is 32 fish and many are quite large. I think it is much too many. Switch to a 8' lenghth and 24" wide and you can try. 18" is not very wide, and some of your big fish will have trouble turning around, especially with rocks in the way. The number of gallons is less important than the footprint.
I have only 14 fish in mine, the largest being a foxface rabbit fish. I probably could push it and add 2 or 3 more, but my tank is very lively as is and everyone gets along, so I am not planing to add anything at this time.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 150 gallon tank at home and I am wondering if I can put these fish together and how many more I can fit.

1 Flame Angel.
1 Spottail Gudgeon.
1 Powder Purple Tang.
1 Twin Spot Wrasse.
11 Harptail Blennies.
2 Sunburst Anthias
1 Redtail Tarmarin Wrasse.
1 Achilles Tang.
1 Firefish Goby.
1 Longnose Hawkfish.
1 Porcupine Puffer.
5 Sergeant Major Damsels.
2 Bullet Hole Clowns
1 French Angel.
1 Naoko Fairy Wrasse.
1 Lyretail Hogfish.
2 White Cndylactis Anemones
I’d pick one of the two Acanthurus tangs. Personally, I’d go for the Achilles over the Purple (Or if you can find one, get a hybrid achilles as they’re gorgeous in person).

Now the tangs are out of the way, I’ll do my strongest family next - The Wrasses.
My first big No I see is the Twinspot Wrasse - Coris aygula. This is a wrasse that isn’t afraid to get 2-3’ sometimes even 4’ long. This wrasse will take up half of your 6’ tank’s length and not have room to turn when fully grown. This is a wrasse that just shouldn’t be kept in a reef at all unless you have a 15’+ cube tank at the minimum. If you want a wrasse similar in body shape, go for one of the smaller Halichoeres species like Halichoeres iridis.
Now the next one that is a No is the Red Tail Tamarin - Anampses chyrsocephalus. This wrasse is endemic to Hawaii and you can’t get it into the hobby legally because Hawaii has a ban on fish being brought into the hobby however that ban will be released for certain fish. On that list of 10 ish fish us wrasse lovers are not going to see any more Hawaiian Endemic wrasses for a while. Even if this wrasse was available to the hobby, it’s a bad move for a first time wrasse owner. These were incredibly difficult to get settled and just didn’t do well due to parasites. I’d personally swap this for a China Wrasse - Anampses neoguinaicus.
The last wrasse on this list should be alright - The Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus naokoae. This wrasse is a species that can be 50/50 in too small of a tank (3’ tanks are the bare minimum IMO) as they can be aggressive but in most larger tanks they will be more peaceful.
And the last Labrid on this list you may not think is a wrasse but it is is the Lyretail Hogfish, Bodianus anthioides. These guys are boisterous and your Gudegon and Firefish will not like it. So I’d cross this guy off as well as the fact he may be able to make a quick snack from a Firefish due to the size they get. I’d swap this out for a smaller species of Wrasse, possibly the Halichoeres species as they do the same job of hunting pests.

Next up I’ll do the Dartfish, these two should get along (The Blue Gudeon and Firefish). If anything, I’d add a couple more to the group of Gudgeons and try a group of 3-4 possibly 5-6 in your tank.

Now the angels, the French is the big No of these guys. This species can get up to 18” and I believe bigger. Not only is their length concerning however these are what I call a ‘box’ fish in which their height gets as tall as they are long. I’d personally swap this for either a Genicanthus species or a Regal Angel. The Flame shouldn’t be too bad but if you plan for corals, you’ll likely have to work around the fish or just forget the RSWC Angel idea and go the Genicanthus route.

The 11 harp tail blennies may be an issue, I’d go for a group of 5 at the max for them, you’ll probably find 11 will cause aggression and end up with them dying off.

And the rest I believe have been sorted through by the others (Any with a . at the end is something that you’ll want to be cautious about, the rest should be alright).

Upvote 1
OP
OP
G

Glitch581132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pick one of the two Acanthurus tangs. Personally, I’d go for the Achilles over the Purple (Or if you can find one, get a hybrid achilles as they’re gorgeous in person).

Now the tangs are out of the way, I’ll do my strongest family next - The Wrasses.
My first big No I see is the Twinspot Wrasse - Coris aygula. This is a wrasse that isn’t afraid to get 2-3’ sometimes even 4’ long. This wrasse will take up half of your 6’ tank’s length and not have room to turn when fully grown. This is a wrasse that just shouldn’t be kept in a reef at all unless you have a 15’+ cube tank at the minimum. If you want a wrasse similar in body shape, go for one of the smaller Halichoeres species like Halichoeres iridis.
Now the next one that is a No is the Red Tail Tamarin - Anampses chyrsocephalus. This wrasse is endemic to Hawaii and you can’t get it into the hobby legally because Hawaii has a ban on fish being brought into the hobby however that ban will be released for certain fish. On that list of 10 ish fish us wrasse lovers are not going to see any more Hawaiian Endemic wrasses for a while. Even if this wrasse was available to the hobby, it’s a bad move for a first time wrasse owner. These were incredibly difficult to get settled and just didn’t do well due to parasites. I’d personally swap this for a China Wrasse - Anampses neoguinaicus.
The last wrasse on this list should be alright - The Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus naokoae. This wrasse is a species that can be 50/50 in too small of a tank (3’ tanks are the bare minimum IMO) as they can be aggressive but in most larger tanks they will be more peaceful.
And the last Labrid on this list you may not think is a wrasse but it is is the Lyretail Hogfish, Bodianus anthioides. These guys are boisterous and your Gudegon and Firefish will not like it. So I’d cross this guy off as well as the fact he may be able to make a quick snack from a Firefish due to the size they get. I’d swap this out for a smaller species of Wrasse, possibly the Halichoeres species as they do the same job of hunting pests.

Next up I’ll do the Dartfish, these two should get along (The Blue Gudeon and Firefish). If anything, I’d add a couple more to the group of Gudgeons and try a group of 3-4 possibly 5-6 in your tank.

Now the angels, the French is the big No of these guys. This species can get up to 18” and I believe bigger. Not only is their length concerning however these are what I call a ‘box’ fish in which their height gets as tall as they are long. I’d personally swap this for either a Genicanthus species or a Regal Angel. The Flame shouldn’t be too bad but if you plan for corals, you’ll likely have to work around the fish or just forget the RSWC Angel idea and go the Genicanthus route.

The 11 harp tail blennies may be an issue, I’d go for a group of 5 at the max for them, you’ll probably find 11 will cause aggression and end up with them dying off.

And the rest I believe have been sorted through by the others (Any with a . at the end is something that you’ll want to be cautious about, the rest should be alright).
I really want to keep the two tangs together is it possible to do so? Also is there a smaller version of the French Angel because I really like the colour and pattern
of it? I’d also like to add to the list a green mandarin goby is that doable? Also the dimensions of the tank are length: 72 inches height: 24 inches depth: 18 inches

This would make the fish scheme be:
1 Flame Angel
6 Spottail Gudgeons
1 Powder Purple Tang
1 Twin Spot Wrasse
5 Harptail Blennies
2 Sunburst Anthias
1 Achilles Tang
2 Firefish Gobies
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Porcupine Puffer
5 Sergeant Major Damsels
2 Bullet Hole Clowns
1 Naoko Fairy Wrasse
1 French Angel
1 Green Mandarin Goby

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to keep the two tangs together is it possible to do so? Also is there a smaller version of the French Angel because I really like the colour and pattern
of it? I’d also like to add to the list a green mandarin goby is that doable? Also the dimensions of the tank are length: 72 inches height: 24 inches depth: 18 inches

1 Flame Angel
6 Spottail Gudgeons
1 Powder Purple Tang
1 Twin Spot Wrasse
5 Harptail Blennies
2 Sunburst Anthias
1 Achilles Tang
2 Firefish Gobies
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Porcupine Puffer
5 Sergeant Major Damsels
2 Bullet Hole Clowns
1 Naoko Fairy Wrasse
1 French Angel
1 Green Mandarin Goby
I’d still say this is pushing the limits of your tank size. And no, there isn’t a dwarf version of the frenchie - If you like the juvenile colours then unfortunately you’ll end up with a relatively ugly adult (I don’t mind adult colours but I find some don’t like them).

Two Acanthurus (especially species as close as the two you want) will be best in an 8’ tank and even then I’ve seen it fail.

2 fire fish gobies will likely fight to the death and not get along as there is only one species that’s communal (N. magnifica) and even then, groups of that species fails in captivity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 Flame Angel
6 Spottail Gudgeons
1 Powder Purple Tang
1 Twin Spot Wrasse
5 Harptail Blennies
2 Sunburst Anthias
1 Achilles Tang
2 Firefish Gobies
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Porcupine Puffer
5 Sergeant Major Damsels
2 Bullet Hole Clowns
1 Naoko Fairy Wrasse
1 French Angel
1 Green Mandarin Goby
Again, two acanthurus tangs (achilles and powder blue hybrid) are incompatible in this tank. You could do the powder blue with a zebrasoma or bristletooth tang, as long as they are added last and together.

A revised list that excludes fish that would fit in your tank could look like:

1 flame angel
1 powder blue hybrid
1 of the wrasses @i cant think suggested
1 naoko fairy wrasse
1 longnose hawk
2 bullethole clowns
a zebrasoma (except sailfin) or bristletooth tang

pick 2:
6 spottail gudegons
5 harptail blennies
2 firefish gobies
2 sunburst anthias

fish I would encourage against:
sergeant majors: large and aggressive, you have some more reserved fish on your list that would get outcompeted
french angel: too large
achilles: need 8' swim space IMO
porcupine puffer: too large, messy, can eat smaller fish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Glitch581132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d still say this is pushing the limits of your tank size. And no, there isn’t a dwarf version of the frenchie - If you like the juvenile colours then unfortunately you’ll end up with a relatively ugly adult (I don’t mind adult colours but I find some don’t like them).
I don’t mind the adult colours either

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Glitch581132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, two acanthurus tangs (achilles and powder blue hybrid) are incompatible in this tank. You could do the powder blue with a zebrasoma or bristletooth tang, as long as they are added last and together.

A revised list that excludes fish that would fit in your tank could look like:

1 flame angel
1 powder blue hybrid
1 of the wrasses @i cant think suggested
1 naoko fairy wrasse
1 longnose hawk
2 bullethole clowns
a zebrasoma (except sailfin) or bristletooth tang

pick 2:
6 spottail gudegons
5 harptail blennies
2 firefish gobies
2 sunburst anthias

fish I would encourage against:
sergeant majors: large and aggressive, you have some more reserved fish on your list that would get outcompeted
french angel: too large
achilles: need 8' swim space IMO
porcupine puffer: too large, messy, can eat smaller fish
Here’s the thing the store I am going to get the fish from has had both of the tangs living together without trouble for around five months now is it still a bad idea to keep them together?

Upvote 0

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the thing the store I am going to get the fish from has had both of the tangs living together without trouble for around five months now is it still a bad idea to keep them together?
yes. They are likely juveniles at the store, and as they age will get more territorial.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
As said above, as tangs age they become more and more aggressive and those tangs will definitely fight to the death (Likely the achilles coming out ontop).

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back