Fish compatibility

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 80 gallon reef tank and I was looking for recommendations on if there are any problems I’ll run into adding all of these fish to one tank as well as the order to add them. Right now I have a 60 gal cube with a 20 gal sump a eshops 120 skimmer a small UV, a Refugium In the sump I just added live rock, chaeto, tigger pods, 5 blue leg hermits to and I have about 75 lbs of live rock. Tank has been running with rock, sand and water for two months. I do plan on adding a cleaner shrimp and LPS/SPS. I don’t think I will be adding all of these. This is just a list to see what I need to take off the list and to see what order I need to add them in. I’m also curious on the hardiness of these fish. I have had a yellow tang with great success but never had anything much harder than that. My fish list is:
  • trigger (any kind)
  • Dwarf lion (probably not gonna happen with the cleaner shrimp)
  • Maroon or snowflake clowns
  • Yellow tang
  • Sail fin tang
  • Wrass or goby
  • Dwarf angel (coral beauty if possible)
  • Starry Blenny or bicolor blenny

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will the dimensions of the tank be?

I would start by crossing off the sailfin tang, as they get way too big.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Welcome to the group!
First off lets clear up some things about what you have listed. Your reef isn't 80 gallons, this is your potential total water volume. Since your Display tank is a 60 Gallon Cube, I'm going to assume it is the standard 24x24x24. Then you go an displace that volume with rocks, your water volume is actually less than 80 gallons due to the display being filled with rock and your sump is not filled to the top rim, so the 20 gallon sump is holding even less water volume.

As for fish, I would highly advise against having any tang in a 24x24x24, the fish needs swimming room and by the time he gets up to speed, he is already having to stop. Otherwise he is going to hit the glass side. Your aggressive dwarf lion, anything smaller than he is will easily fit into his mouth and become lunch. If you are set on the Lionfish, you will need to make adjustments to the size of community fish that go in with him/her. As for the trigger... they can get large, and with that small of a tank I wouldn't suggest it either. If you are set on these fish, you should upgrade to a much larger length of a tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off lets clear up some things about what you have listed. Your reef isn't 80 gallons, this is your potential total water volume. Since your Display tank is a 60 Gallon Cube, I'm going to assume it is the standard 24x24x24. Then you go an displace that volume with rocks, your water volume is actually less than 80 gallons due to the display being filled with rock and your sump is not filled to the top rim, so the 20 gallon sump is holding even less water volume.

As for fish, I would highly advise against having any tang in a 24x24x24, the fish needs swimming room and by the time he gets up to speed, he is already having to stop. Otherwise he is going to hit the glass side. Your aggressive dwarf lion, anything smaller than he is will easily fit into his mouth and become lunch. If you are set on the Lionfish, you will need to make adjustments to the size of community fish that go in with him/her. As for the trigger... they can get large, and with that small of a tank I wouldn't suggest it either. If you are set on these fish, you should upgrade to a much larger length of a tank.
I believe OP currently has a 60 cube and is setting up an 80 gallon

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will the dimensions of the tank be?

I would start by crossing off the sailfin tang, as they get way too big.
It is a weird tank size. It measures 36x20x21 and the sump is 30x12x15

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I put in roughly 75 gallons of water after I put the sand and rock in but I did have to take out a few gallons after adding more rock.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a weird tank size. It measures 36x20x21 and the sump is 30x12x15

Thanks, that helps us.

36 x 20 x 21 x 0.00434 gallons/ cubic inch = 66 gallons.

I like those dimensions. You have lots of options, but any triggers or tangs aren't good ones long term.

There are plenty of wrasses that would work. The coral beauty angel will be fine. Clowns, gobies, blennies are fine.

The dwarf lion would be fine too, it just really limits the other fish. Most likely only the angel would be completely safe.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I got a flame angel for the first addition, then a starry blenny two weeks later, then a dragon goby three weeks later. Next is a pair of clowns.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back