Fish compatibility

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an ocelaris I my 30 gallon mixed reef tank. I’m looking at adding possibly a hawkfish of some sort (preferably long nosed or falco) and then maybe a royal gramma or a springeri dotty back. I have a BTA that I’m gonna try to get my clown to host before adding new fish. I just haven’t had any good luck with finding compatible tank mates, every time I listen to the LFS they send me home with a fish that fights or gets hurt. If these don’t work would you guys have any suggestions? I don’t wanna keep throwing my money away saltwater fish are expensive lol. Thanks in advance!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem tankmate I've had in my 32.5 is an Orchid Dottyback and she seems to have calmed down. She started by being cheeky with the Pajama Cardinals and chasing them away from the rockwork every time they even looked at it sideways. But it was never anything more than chasing them away. Then, I added the Flame Hawkfish and she rammed it against the back wall 2-3 times upon first meeting the flame hawk. Now though, everything gets along fine. With the Flame Hawkfish specifically, shrimp are gonna be hit or miss. I bought my Flame hawk when it was about 1-1.5", it ate both cleaner shrimp (they were smaller than it) but it hasn't touched my Japanese Snapping Shrimp (he's bigger than the flame hawk currently).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the clown.
If you're looking for fish with *personality*, then I'd also suggest a flame hawkfish and blenny (I like the midas). Dottybacks and royal grammas are fine, but they will spend most of their time in the rock work.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma spends most of its time out, I think a lot is up to the individual and perceived threats.

So I have an ocelaris I my 30 gallon mixed reef tank. I’m looking at adding possibly a hawkfish of some sort (preferably long nosed or falco) and then maybe a royal gramma or a springeri dotty back. I have a BTA that I’m gonna try to get my clown to host before adding new fish. I just haven’t had any good luck with finding compatible tank mates, every time I listen to the LFS they send me home with a fish that fights or gets hurt. If these don’t work would you guys have any suggestions? I don’t wanna keep throwing my money away saltwater fish are expensive lol. Thanks in advance!

All of the fish you mentioned should do fine.
May I ask what your lfs suggested?
For what it’s worth, there will always be at least mild aggression between most fish, usually nothing serious though.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for fish with *personality*, then I'd also suggest a flame hawkfish and blenny (I like the midas). Dottybacks and royal grammas are fine, but they will spend most of their time in the rock work.
hehe, my dottyback has been out in the limelight more and more lately. I guess it has enough spaces to hide that it doesn't feel the need to, or knows where to run to, when it gets scared. Either that or I just have an oddball. (It used to hang out exclusively in the rockwork and was never seen, it still sleeps in it)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a striped one we call "Carl". "Has anyone seen Carl?" Carl has been venturing out more and more these days. He's almost the same coloring and pattern as our cleaner wrasse, so we sometimes have to take a second look...

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen carl?

sad walking dead GIF

OP
OP
A

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma spends most of its time out, I think a lot is up to the individual and perceived threats.

All of the fish you mentioned should do fine.
May I ask what your lfs suggested?
For what it’s worth, there will always be at least mild aggression between most fish, usually nothing serious though.

the last fish I had with him was a six line wrasse. He was traumatized but they worked it out. The other day he jumped out so it’s just him in there now.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 lines are notoriously aggressive, makes sense it would cause an issue…and wrasses are notorious jumpers.
Best thing to do is stick to more peaceful fish that stay out of the way rather than pick a fight.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back