Fish disappeared??

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had these 2 chromis in my tank for 6 months and the other day I was staring at it and noticed only one was swimming around. I have 4 other fish in there as well and like 6 corals. I looked all over the tank and there is no sight or sign of my missing fish. Could they eat it? Or my snails or tiny star fish? I can’t figure out what happened or where he went?

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lid on your tank? I've lost several fish to jumping even though I have lids on all of my tanks. They've jumped out while cleaning, feeding and some have wriggled through the tiniest hole around the lids.

I've also had small fish die in the tank and it's amazing how quick the clean up crew will take care of the carcass. If you don't find it the same day, you probably won't.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had these 2 chromis in my tank for 6 months and the other day I was staring at it and noticed only one was swimming around. I have 4 other fish in there as well and like 6 corals. I looked all over the tank and there is no sight or sign of my missing fish. Could they eat it? Or my snails or tiny star fish? I can’t figure out what happened or where he went?
Do you have a lid? If not the first place I would check is behind the tank on the floor or if it’s an AIO check your back chambers. If it died the clean up crew would make it disappear.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I checked everywhere. It does have a lid sometimes I forget to close it. I have a theory my dog ate it if it jumped out. Eew. Or when I cleaned the tank it could have jumped in the bucket and I Didn’t notice? So I dumped it. I dunno

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately Chromis will often kill each other off in tanks, many folks end up with one after starting with multiple chromis like myself. Twice I added several at a time to end up with just one after weeks if not months... Many theories why they do this in captivity, i.e. lack of hiding space, lack of food, no predator fish to keep them shoaling for protection etc.

Back