Fish disease help

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two new to me green chromis with white stringy poop and bloated stomaches, and they wont eat, does anyone have any suggestions on treating them. I have had them for about 4 days, they were given back to the LFS when someone moved. I have tried garlic, I figure if I can get them to eat I can feed them some prazipro. Any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two new to me green chromis with white stringy poop and bloated stomaches, and they wont eat, does anyone have any suggestions on treating them. I have had them for about 4 days, they were given back to the LFS when someone moved. I have tried garlic, I figure if I can get them to eat I can feed them some prazipro. Any suggestions?
Pictures of the fish?
How were they acclimated and for how long ?
Age of tank/how long running?
Have you tested tank water and what test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were they eating at lfs? Any change in behavior other than eating? Will they eat live foods at all?
I haven’t tried live foods yet, I tried pe pellets and pe mysis with and without garlic. Their behavior seems normal relative to the chromis I had years ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried live foods yet, I tried pe pellets and pe mysis with and without garlic. Their behavior seems normal relative to the chromis I had years ago.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Pictures and a short video taken under while light sometimes helps.
Green chromis have a lot of issues when first imported, but since yours were a trade-in from another person, it isn't clear why they would be having issues.
Do they approach the food with any interest, or completely ignore it?
How are their tankmates doing?

Jay

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures of the fish?
How were they acclimated and for how long ?
Age of tank/how long running?
Have you tested tank water and what test kits are you using ?
I will add pictures in a few, they were drip acclimated and have have been in the tank for 5 days now. The tank has been running for about a month and the parameters are low to undetectable, I have been testing every other day because I added a little tester coral with the fish, and their only other tank mates are some hermits and a cleaner shrimp who is eating just fine. In the past I have used rods food for finicky fish but my lfs didn't have any.

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Pictures and a short video taken under while light sometimes helps.
Green chromis have a lot of issues when first imported, but since yours were a trade-in from another person, it isn't clear why they would be having issues.
Do they approach the food with any interest, or completely ignore it?
How are their tankmates doing?

Jay
They seem extra skidish all the time even when I feed, I usually put in a little mysis juice before I put in frozen mysis chunks and they don’t seem to care, where as the shrimp comes right up to the top as soon as he smells it. The food will go right past the chromis‘s face but they just keep doing what their doing. The hermits and shrimp are doing great.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lower light to keep them calm
Tank sounds too new for such fish but no readings are concerning
What test kits are you using ?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add pictures in a few, they were drip acclimated and have have been in the tank for 5 days now. The tank has been running for about a month and the parameters are low to undetectable, I have been testing every other day because I added a little tester coral with the fish, and their only other tank mates are some hermits and a cleaner shrimp who is eating just fine. In the past I have used rods food for finicky fish but my lfs didn't have any.

When we ask for you parameters, we are speaking of water chemistry numbers.

Parameters that are "low to undetectable"", well... I'm not sure what that means.

So please post which water test kits you are using and a current set of test results.

You were correct to register here at R2R And post your question. You will get the help you need here.

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When we ask for you parameters, we are speaking of water chemistry numbers.

Parameters that are "low to undetectable"", well... I'm not sure what that means.

So please post which water test kits you are using and a current set of test results.

You were correct to register here at R2R And post your question. You will get the help you need here.
I understand what your asking for but im not testing anything today. Im using a Red Sea test kit so if your looking for a specific number that ain't gonna happen. When I tested yesterday amonia was 0 nitrite was 0 and nitrate was between 2-5.

I probably should have been more clear in my first post I am really just looking for recommendations on foods to try and get them to eat so I can treat them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I understand what your asking for but im not testing anything today. Im using a Red Sea test kit so if your looking for a specific number that ain't gonna happen. When I tested yesterday amonia was 0 nitrite was 0 and nitrate was between 2-5.

I probably should have been more clear in my first post I am really just looking for recommendations on foods to try and get them to eat so I can treat them.
Fir foods:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Hikari mega veggie diet
Hikari marine cuisine
Small plankton
Mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@fushi Try some live brine shrimp or big copepods. If they don't eat those it is suspicious.
I ordered a mix of amphipods and copepods the other day, they should arrive today so well see. Do you have any "big copepod" species recommendation?

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fir foods:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Hikari mega veggie diet
Hikari marine cuisine
Small plankton
Mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health
Thank you

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeding recommendations are pretty good, but the fish will not eat if it has an internal discomfort.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a mix of amphipods and copepods the other day, they should arrive today so well see. Do you have any "big copepod" species recommendation?
Something bigger than 1mm. Like tiger pods, euterpina, tisbe, acartia, pseudodiaptomus, or live calanus if you can find them. The amphipods should work too they are usually bigger. Something that they can see easier than the smaller ones.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem extra skidish all the time even when I feed, I usually put in a little mysis juice before I put in frozen mysis chunks and they don’t seem to care, where as the shrimp comes right up to the top as soon as he smells it. The food will go right past the chromis‘s face but they just keep doing what their doing. The hermits and shrimp are doing great.
Well, it does sound like an issue with these fish, not the tank or water quality. A short video might help…..
Jay

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, it does sound like an issue with these fish, not the tank or water quality. A short video might help…..
Jay
I was finally able to get a video of them. I know the lights are too blue but when i mess with the lights or anything for that matter they hide for hours, which is why I couldn't get a video of them earlier. I am starting to think they are just extremely skittish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to get a video of them. I know the lights are too blue but when i mess with the lights or anything for that matter they hide for hours, which is why I couldn't get a video of them earlier. I am starting to think they are just extremely skittish.
They do look skittish. I do not see any other obvious signs of an issue. They seem to be full bodied. You could try blacking out the sides of the tank with black paper or plastic (except the front) and then dim the room lights. The fish should settle down a bit. Then, try feeding them again, but stand back from the tank.

Jay

Back