Fish dying from ich or bacterial infection

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems likes he’s on his death bed. Just swimming at the surface. I just started treatment today. My whole tank is contaminated with ich or this bacteria. But my other fish are fine. My wrasse and my male clownfish are eating and moving around normally. I just think it’s his time ig
image.jpg

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated them with ich attack and Maracyn two. They have only been on treatment for a day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears to be brooklynella but cant confirm. Please post a clearer pic or two under white light. A freshwater dip will offer temporary relief using same temperature as display tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I treated them with ich attack and Maracyn two. They have only been on treatment for a day.
Not ich and maracyn 2 is for secondary bacterial infection. Formalin bath will be effective with this. Quick cure and ruby Rally Pro will be the cure for this.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be that the maracyn lowered oxygen levels, it is an antibiotic, not good for ich. Not familiar with ich attack quick search says herbals. Not really a fan of those kinds. To start i would run a pump towards top of water or add a air stone if you have one.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be what it is then. What meds if any other do you have on hand?
I have nothing on me at the moment. I just want to know how brook got in my system when nothing has been added in 3 months and the fish was qt before being put in the main tank.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be what it is then. What meds if any other do you have on hand?
I went to my local aquarium store today. And my local aquarium store had nothing to treat brook only ich and bacterial infections. And by the time my treatment comes in I think my fish will be dead by then

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If brook is what this is. Just not 100% sure. I agree quick cure made by api, or formalin I think would be good choices. The maracyn would be good for any possible secondary infection. Definitely start with more surface agitation, or air stone with antibiotics.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok thank you so much
To fill you in on Brook . . . . . . At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To fill you in on Brook . . . . . . At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank.
I just checked on them and my female has just passed

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If brook is what this is. Just not 100% sure. I agree quick cure made by api, or formalin I think would be good choices. The maracyn would be good for any possible secondary infection. Definitely start with more surface agitation, or air stone with antibiotics.
I just checked on them and sadly my female has passed and my male is starting to pass. I can’t find my wrasse but I’m assuming that he’s almost their too. It’s so crazy how it’s just boom and everything is dead. Now I heard that brook doesn’t affect soft corals and snails, so that means my anemone will survive, correct?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just checked on them and sadly my female has passed and my male is starting to pass. I can’t find my wrasse but I’m assuming that he’s almost their too. It’s so crazy how it’s just boom and everything is dead. Now I heard that brook doesn’t affect soft corals and snails, so that means my anemone will survive, correct?
Inverts unaffected.
A freshwater dip may buy some yime.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back