Fish dying in QT

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MFG (MarineLand) claims the bio-wheel will not absorb any meds, including copper.

But I get lied to by manufacturers/vendors all the time, so I guess a controlled test is in order to verify their claim.

I use marineland HOB bio-wheel. I do encounter some absorption with copper, but I figured it was filter floss I have in the HOB as well. Maybe a test is in order...

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been adding copper and dropping below therapeutic levels for almost a month now. All I have in the tank is the bio-wheel some Seachem matrix, a plastic plant (could this be an issue?) PVC elbows and a little egg crate structure. I like the edd crate because the smaller fish can swim through and seek refuge from the bigger fish.

So I guess my copper loss could be attributed two one of three things. The plastic plant, the egg crate or the bio-wheel.

I suspect the bio-wheel as the most likely culprit. Has anyone seen copper absorption from plastic plants or egg crate?

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really should take the plastic plant and egg crate structure out of the QT.... could the mesh bag for the Seachem matrix be absorbing that much copper? 1.78 ppm last week. 1.16 ppm this week.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I use plastic plants in QT and have not had an issue with copper absorption.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go a different route with my next two fish, A melanarus wrasse and a yellow wrasse.

Due to my work schedule and my inability to test copper levels everyday I have decided to put te wrasses through hyposalinity for 30 days followed by medicated feeding of metroplex with focus for 10 days and 10 more days of observation.

The benefits and ease of application using an auto tip off device outweighs the risks of encountering a hypo resistant strain of ICH. I still have copper on hand in case I run into velvet or brook.

The 10 day observation ended while I was away at work but everything went really well. Both wrasses seem very healthy and are eating like pigs.

First QT success! I’m a happy camper.

Thanks everyone who helped out and gave advice along the way.

If I ever change jobs and no longer have to travel I’ll be trying the copper qt again.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go a different route with my next two fish, A melanarus wrasse and a yellow wrasse.

Due to my work schedule and my inability to test copper levels everyday I have decided to put te wrasses through hyposalinity for 30 days followed by medicated feeding of metroplex with focus for 10 days and 10 more days of observation.

The benefits and ease of application using an auto tip off device outweighs the risks of encountering a hypo resistant strain of ICH. I still have copper on hand in case I run into velvet or brook.

The 10 day observation ended while I was away at work but everything went really well. Both wrasses seem very healthy and are eating like pigs.

First QT success! I’m a happy camper.

Thanks everyone who helped out and gave advice along the way.

If I ever change jobs and no longer have to travel I’ll be trying the copper qt again.
Congrats on a successful QT. I am starting mine soon. Hope it goes as well as yours.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on a successful QT. I am starting mine soon. Hope it goes as well as yours.

I had a lot of issues with my qt before this success. I lost 6 fish in qt due to mistakes and oversights. I would suggest to start slow with a cheap and easy fish for your first qt.

I had to qt all 6 of my fish in an emergency due to an ICH outbreak. I lost two midnight clownfish, a tail spot blenny, a yellow flanked fairy wrasse, a powder blue tang and a Swiss guard basslet. The tang was the only one showing signs of ICH and I’m fairly certain most of the fish died due to ammonia poisoning from a poorly cycled qt.

Good luck! I hope it goes like my second attempt with lots of success.

OP
OP
Kactai

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I spoke way too soon on this one.

I woke up this morning planning to add both wrasses to the display and sure enough.... both dead.

There has to be an easier, better way to ensure fish survival and long term health...

I’m in need of some serious advice.

I work 8 days away 6 days at home. My gf is unwilling to do anything other than feed the fish and even then she feeds super early before the fish wake up or super later after they have gone to sleep. She won’t donwater changes or testing in the qt.

That 8 fish dead in qt so far between the original ich outbreak copper Qt group and the two new fish i attempted to get through hypo. I’m starting to think that ich management may not look so bad based on my current situation.

Last edited:

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I spoke way too soon on this one.

I woke up this morning planning to add both wrasses to the display and sure enough.... both dead.

There has to be an easier, better way to ensure fish survival and long term health...

I’m in need of some serious advice.

I work 8 days away 6 days at home. My gf is unwilling to do anything other than feed the fish and even then she feeds super early before the fish wake up or super later after they have gone to sleep. She won’t donwater changes or testing in the qt.

That 8 fish dead in qt so far between the original ich outbreak copper Qt group and the two new fish i attempted to get through hypo. I’m starting to think that ich management may not look so bad based on my current situation.
Oh NO. This hobby can be so frustrating. Sorry for your loss...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back