Fish Dying

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 100g mixed reef that has been established for about a year and a half. I have not added a new fish for about 5 months, and I believed all to be going very well. I woke up this morning and I found my Powder Brown Tang laying on the sand bed. I was in distress and looked at him for awhile before eventually netting him out. upon close inspection i saw no wounds, discoloration, parasites; he seemed to be in perfect condition. I went back to the tank to take roll and I soon found my flame angel being scavenged by some cleaner shrimps, and I have still not seen my sixline wrasse. I immediately tested parameters:
Temp: 79 degrees F
NO3: 0
Po3:0
alk: 8.3
SG: 1.025

Everything was normal, and I watched the tank most of today, and the fish do not seem stressed, eat and act normally, there are no spots or signs of stress. Later in the evening I then notice my Falco Hawkfish laying strangely. He was dead.

I am now begining to seriously worry, and am further baffled because all of my corals, including sps, lps, and softies, are looking great.

Thanks for any insight or assitance.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your ammonia levels. Any chance of any kind of contaminant got in the tank? Soap, aerosol sprays, perfume, lotion, deodorant, air freshener? Double check your temperature with a second thermometer. Any stray voltage? Any aggression?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your ammonia levels. Any chance of any kind of contaminant got in the tank? Soap, aerosol sprays, perfume, lotion, deodorant, air freshener? Double check your temperature with a second thermometer. Any stray voltage? Any aggression?

Stray voltage will be the easiest to test for,
Multi meter in 120v mode ground to an outlet, then lead in the aquarium.

A few precaution wc will help dilute if its a contaminate.

Polyfilter and replacing gac may also help.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Ammonia is undetectable, i checked with a multimeter and could not find any current issues. It is quite possible that my girlfriend introduced some sort of lotion or perfume, and there has been no aggression among tank mates.

I replaced my carbon in the reactor and changes all my prefilters and socks.

This morning I have no new casualties, so I'm really baffled. The only thing that has recently been added are some hermits and snails, that I also added to my 125 reef (which has no problems right now)

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could very well have been some type of contaminate. Don't waste your time on the stay voltage I've had tanks with 118v running through the water and doing very well.

Sound like the carbon probably cleared up your issue. Don't let the gf swim in the tank anymore!

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She shall be banned from hands on tank activities until further notice. I'm running a water change as well and hopefully I will be OK

Thanks again for your insight

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back