Fish emergency

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has been acting weird all week and I fear the worst. It’s moved from its usual location and it’s now sitting there. Hasn’t eaten much and I’ve noticed brown spots around it. Any help or is it the worst case?

image.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you give more information (and a new picture if possible). How old is it, How long have you had it, is it the only fish that is 'off', if they are not obvious, can you put arrows or circles on the areas about which you're concerned. Did you QT the fish? Did you add anything new? Coral/anemone/fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This fish has been acting weird all week and I fear the worst. It’s moved from its usual location and it’s now sitting there. Hasn’t eaten much and I’ve noticed brown spots around it. Any help or is it the worst case?

image.jpg
Looks like scrape marks and post injury or victim of aggression
How is breathing rate and is fish still eating?
Can you post video under whiter lighting?

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, I have no idea what the fish is called. it’s a type of goby. I haven’t really added anything new recently. I do weekly water changes. I invested more and I noticed another fish looks beat up. I’ll take a picture

Attachments

• 72618568873__7F675A62-C17C-4853-8C3E-83F370C41671.MOV
    2.7 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fyi - I will repeat my post - if you don't want to answer - all good: "
Can you give more information (and a new picture if possible). How old is it, How long have you had it, is it the only fish that is 'off', if they are not obvious, can you put arrows or circles on the areas about which you're concerned. Did you QT the fish? Did you add anything new? Coral/anemone/fish?

:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You don’t think it’s the clown fish those are the only ones left
Clowns are agressive and often aggression culprits. To confirm, next time you feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi - I will repeat my post - if you don't want to answer - all good: "

:
Okay, so it’s like 2 years old or that’s how long I’ve had it. When I purchased it, it was 2 or 3 inches long if that helps to age it. So it seems like that is the only fish off. There has been a small shift in hangout location. I didn’t QT the fish mainly bc I don’t have a QT tank. (I know I need to). I haven’t added anything new. All I did was a big water change. I’ll post a picture now. It’s night time and the fish is never out but tonight it’s different. It’s like trying to jump out. It’s face is out the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are agressive and often aggression culprits. To confirm, next time you feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be
I’ll definitely give this a try. I’ll have to get a camera

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the picture. I agree with others - it looks like stings or injuries of some type. The behavior in the last picture may suggest a more serious situation such as a parasite, etc. I'm assuming all of your water parameters are fine since the other fish are ok - and the corals, etc are fine? How is the fish today

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay, so it’s like 2 years old or that’s how long I’ve had it. When I purchased it, it was 2 or 3 inches long if that helps to age it. So it seems like that is the only fish off. There has been a small shift in hangout location. I didn’t QT the fish mainly bc I don’t have a QT tank. (I know I need to). I haven’t added anything new. All I did was a big water change. I’ll post a picture now. It’s night time and the fish is never out but tonight it’s different. It’s like trying to jump out. It’s face is out the water.
The marks on the tail is a giveaway- The tail is being nipped and increases the clowns as suspects as its often the tail they start with when territorial/aggressive.

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the picture. I agree with others - it looks like stings or injuries of some type. The behavior in the last picture may suggest a more serious situation such as a parasite, etc. I'm assuming all of your water parameters are fine since the other fish are ok - and the corals, etc are fine? How is the fish today
Late update so everything else is fine. The fish is still alive but I’ve noticed a change. The fish seems to swim and sit in an upward stance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 36

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Late update so everything else is fine. The fish is still alive but I’ve noticed a change. The fish seems to swim and sit in an upward stance.
Not an abnormal stance but often triggered by aggression from other fish or lack of place(s) to hide

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this? The waterline hiding dots make me think it's an Evo sized tank.

Depending on your clowns, and especially true if they start breeding or defending eggs, the clowns are most likely beating your fish. I have a pair of clowns that are more aggressive, and when they were in a smaller tank (7g) they won't allow anything with them, even my hand. I moved them to a larger tank, an Evo 13.5 and they calmed down enough to have my hands in there without attacking. They did kill a dottyback I tried to add, but are leaving my valentini puffer alone.

Do you happen to have another tank or can make (or buy )a breeding box, acclimation box or some other way to physical separate the hurt fish? I've made one with the critter keeper plastic containers from Walmart/Petco. And used a cleaning magnet to hold it on the tank. I can take a picture if you need to see.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and do you have places where these fish can hide and do so quickly when threatened? I seem to notice many post with fish aggression that tend to be in smaller tanks where there are too many fish or the rock scape is not set up for the fish to have their own little hiding holes. My blenny and firefish I have seen all have holes they can dart into. My blenny has places everywhere in the tank he can dart into quickly when needed. That firefish in your photos looks beat up also, it's fins look tattered.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back