Sick fish?

nickkuczynski5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and noticed this pinkish spot on my female phantom clown. She didn’t have it yesterday. I did do a fresh water dip last night as I suspected flukes. She’s been acting a lot better since that but then I noticed this spot. Any ideas?

IMG_4031.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Woke up this morning and noticed this pinkish spot on my female phantom clown. She didn’t have it yesterday. I did do a fresh water dip last night as I suspected flukes. She’s been acting a lot better since that but then I noticed this spot. Any ideas?

IMG_4031.jpeg
This fish is slightly thin and has the typical and mysterious bruising we are seeing recently. It is believed the cause is either systemic disease causing anemia, poor water quality, or gill disease.
Cause can be from the LFS and I would contact them to see if other clowns in the store show this. There is no treatment for this syndrome and is often not treatable.

OP
OP
N

nickkuczynski5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is slightly thin and has the typical and mysterious bruising we are seeing recently. It is believed the cause is either systemic disease causing anemia, poor water quality, or gill disease.
Cause can be from the LFS and I would contact them to see if other clowns in the store show this. There is no treatment for this syndrome and is often not treatable.
She’s eaten once since I got her this last Saturday.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
She’s eaten once since I got her this last Saturday.
As mentioned, it will affect appetite and can even be coccidia. General cure (treatment) may help and you can try but again, often fish like this is untreatable

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4031.jpeg

Is the clown showing any other symptoms? The pink spot isn't flukes, but that doesn't mean the fish doesn't have flukes...

That bruising issue is strange - I've never had it in any of my clownfish, and it only shows up on the white sections of the fish. Nobody else knows the cause either. It does cause mortality in some fish, but a few recover on their own. Here is a thread I started on it:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-bruising-lesion.936964/

OP
OP
N

nickkuczynski5280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clown showing any other symptoms? The pink spot isn't flukes, but that doesn't mean the fish doesn't have flukes...

That bruising issue is strange - I've never had it in any of my clownfish, and it only shows up on the white sections of the fish. Nobody else knows the cause either. It does cause mortality in some fish, but a few recover on their own. Here is a thread I started on it:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-bruising-lesion.936964/
The pink spot showed up after I did a fw dip to test for flukes. I didn’t see anything come off her but I was more focused on keeping her upright and from jumping out of the container. But I’ll check out the thread. Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back