Fish Food Vitamin Soaks

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

What are people soaking their frozen foods in these days? I use selcon but am also interested in a more full-spectrum vitamin option.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Brightwell's vitimarin M and C

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Brightwell Garlic Power and AminoOmega for ages but also some KZ concentrated aminoacids which I use every now and then too. Unfortunately the Brightwell stuff isn't being sold in Australia anymore which is a shame.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't soak my food in vitamins, but instead of sea water, my fish swim in vitamins. :rolleyes:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to try that. Right now boring Selcon and a touch of garlic extreme.
From what I have been reading and experience of time is the vitamin C is real good for the corals in helping to recover too.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

What are people soaking their frozen foods in these days? I use selcon but am also interested in a more full-spectrum vitamin option.

I use Hikari Mysis infused with Vitamin C, but I also soak that food in a plastic cup that's half full of RODI water and use Kent Marine Zoe (which is alot of Vitamin C and other vitamins) and occasionally also add Kent's Zoecon to the Zoe (which adds fats and lipids and such). I used to use Selcon but it always made my skimmer not function well for hours, plus it smells like dead fish, but Selcon is still a solid soak.

I soak the frozen Mysis and freeze dried Mysis in the Kent stuff for 15 minutes.

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I used to use vita-chem and Kent Zoe but it's one of those long-term things that you can't really point to and tell if it's making a difference, so I figured I'd see what everyone else was using since more options have come on the market in the last few years. I recently bought a new bottle of selcon and noticed it mentions vitamin C on the label, not sure if Selcon always contained vitamin c but thought that was interesting since I thought of it as more of a HUFA supplement, not so much vitamin.

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up... in addition to the Selcon, I've decided to give Vitamarin-M, Vitamarin-C, and AngeLixir a try.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Selcon. All I can tell you is I had gotten a wrasse with a little bump on her head that turned into lost flesh and meds alone weren't helping. I picked up selcon, generously used it with her foods, and within days she started healing up.

Could be 100% coincidental -- But the timing made me a believer. Plus the stuff lasts forever.. I've spent $10 more pointless stuff than fish food enhancer. At worst it helps fish enjoy their foods more.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Selcon and Boyd's Vitachem. Once the selcon is gone I'm going to only use the vitachem. It looks like there are more ingredients in the Boyds

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a specific brand recommendation? I know some brands have flavorings, etc.

I buy it in capsule form and add the oil from a few. I make up a batch of food for approximately 3 days and add the contents of 3 or 4 capsules which are always unflavoured. You can buy unflavoured fish oil in bottles however but it's not as easy to come by and you have to use it in a shortish period once open

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Selcon and Boyd's Vitachem. Once the selcon is gone I'm going to only use the vitachem. It looks like there are more ingredients in the Boyds
Me too. Once the Selcon ran out I switched to Vitachem. Main reason is that's what the lfs carries. A few drops on the frozen food and let it soak while I'm at work, feed them when I get home. They get soaked food with live Black Worms and my fish are happy and healthy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back