Fish got murdered

Rmahan1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! I just got done bartending the New Years! Came home and checked my tank. I found one of my clowns murdered, he had his tail bitten down and his fin bitten down.
Tank members
2 emerald craps
4 hermits
Lawnmower
Watchman golby (been in hiding)
I feed my fish a decent amount of frozen meat reef stuff.
My clowns have been chilling together, and the clown that passed away was the bigger of the two.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! I just got done bartending the New Years! Came home and checked my tank. I found one of my clowns murdered, he had his tail bitten down and his fin bitten down.
Tank members
2 emerald craps
4 hermits
Lawnmower
Watchman golby (been in hiding)
I feed my fish a decent amount of frozen meat reef stuff.
My clowns have been chilling together, and the clown that passed away was the bigger of the two.
Maybe he was afraid if fireworks? o_O Sorry for the loss... but on the upside, you get to shop for fish!!
Welcome to the reef BTW... from one redheaded fish lover to another. Happy New Year!!
Happy I Love Lucy GIF

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clowns were a pair, then the bigger one was the female. Not likely it was the emerald crab. They are mostly herbivores. Sounds like it maybe died and got picked on by a hermit? The deterioration my not be related to its death, but could have happened after.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clown warfare or was getting weak.
Did you notice clown poop if it was white? Did clown have a hazy, milky appearance to it?
Did you see the clowns squabble at any point?

Not the way to start the new year but Happy new year and hopefully things are positive moving forward

OP
OP
Rmahan1997

Rmahan1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown warfare or was getting weak.
Did you notice clown poop if it was white? Did clown have a hazy, milky appearance to it?
Did you see the clowns squabble at any point?

Not the way to start the new year but Happy new year and hopefully things are positive moving forward
I don't know if they were a pair, I introduced them at the same time. Sometimes they are on different sides of the tank, sometimes they are close. My dead clown was in a bent position, and no cloudy eyes. I didn't see white clown poop.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally female is larger than male
If they were both equal size, may have been 2 males at war

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the powerhead theory if he or she was still little. They could have been clowning around (sorry - couldn't resist) and the little thing got too close without realizing it. When I had a canister filter on my first tank, that happened a time or two. Then it was usually a chromis, stuck on the side of the intake... looking helpless.
You have a big ol' tank there with lots of promise. I'd keep an eye on everyone else, check parameters and maybe do a WC for good measure.
Congrats on coming out the good end of brain surgery. I think doctors are onto something when they erect aquariums in the waiting room. Watching the tanks lowers stress. Although calculating the cost raises it, so who knows! Enjoy it for as long as it brings you joy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possibility is the fish died and then the hermits got to ’im. Maybe unlikely, but just putting it out there.

Not only do I not think this is unlikely, I think it is actually much more likely than a murder. Although stated as the ‘bigger’ one .... how big are we talking? Scavengers like crabs will make quick work of a small fish corpse ..... starting with the fins.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back