Fish help

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my 40 breeder has been going good for awhile now and I’m wondering if I can add anything else
Current stocking:
Clown pair
Six line (not aggressive)
Splendid dottyback
Diamond goby
Lps and softies
I was just wondering if I can add some more fish I have a skimmer and a 5 gallon refugium I also have a ac70
Thanks for any help

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting pretty close to the limit. How long has it been since you added the last fish?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U should have enough to handle more bioload with your setup but the more important question is do you have enough rockwork/territory left. All of your fish are territorial so you should see if each fish had already carved out their turf. The 6line may not be aggressive now but thats probably bc they are all still small and you currently have enough room. However they do get bigger and 6lines is recommended in a 55G so he might become aggresive later.

If you have a lot of different rock features and unclaimed caves left, maybe you can consider 1 more fish, maybe a basslet or a cardinal.

Eventually when they grow up I would assume 1/3 of the tank is gonna be the clown pairs turf, 1/3 the 6 line turf, and the rest of the fish share the rest.

If you just want some additional lives in the tank, perhaps you can consider some inverts or crustaceans instead?

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U should have enough to handle more bioload with your setup but the more important question is do you have enough rockwork/territory left. All of your fish are territorial so you should see if each fish had already carved out their turf. The 6line may not be aggressive now but thats probably bc they are all still small and you currently have enough room. However they do get bigger and 6lines is recommended in a 55G so he might become aggresive later.

If you have a lot of different rock features and unclaimed caves left, maybe you can consider 1 more fish, maybe a basslet or a cardinal.

Eventually when they grow up I would assume 1/3 of the tank is gonna be the clown pairs turf, 1/3 the 6 line turf, and the rest of the fish share the rest.

If you just want some additional lives in the tank, perhaps you can consider some inverts or crustaceans instead?
It seems to me that all of the fish kinda swim around the entire tank freely, it’s good to hear I could get a cardinal because that is what I wanted. I’d really like to get some shrimp but my last one disappeared somehow so idk if it’s a good idea

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that all of the fish kinda swim around the entire tank freely, it’s good to hear I could get a cardinal because that is what I wanted. I’d really like to get some shrimp but my last one disappeared somehow so idk if it’s a good idea
Observe them at night, most should have a consistent place to sleep in, that will tell you more on how they've carved out their
turf

Cards need a ton of hiding spots, overhangs,, caves. and has better survival rate in established reefs that they can swim around in. I havent had success keeping one as the "last fish" despite "near perfect" water conditions and stability (i have a 4 year mature tank growing acroporas). My hunch was that it never found a safe spot. I plan to maybe try again after my acro frags become full fledge colonies and my other corals to grow out more.

Maybe you will have better luck with them depending on your rock work and coral status.

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observe them at night, most should have a consistent place to sleep in, that will tell you more on how they've carved out their
turf

Cards need a ton of hiding spots, overhangs,, caves. and has better survival rate in established reefs that they can swim around in. I havent had success keeping one as the "last fish" despite "near perfect" water conditions and stability (i have a 4 year mature tank growing acroporas). My hunch was that it never found a safe spot. I plan to maybe try again after my acro frags become full fledge colonies and my other corals to grow out more.

Maybe you will have better luck with them depending on your rock work and coral status.
Tank has only been up for 2 years but I feel like I have a decent amount of hiding spaces, any other recommendations other than a cardinal?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has only been up for 2 years but I feel like I have a decent amount of hiding spaces, any other recommendations other than a cardinal?
Basslets, like either royal gramma or purple cap.

I love my purple cap, guards his cave most of the time (see pic) and keeps to his little area in the bottom of the tank and never bullies anyone despite being the biggest fish in my tank (close to 4 inches now). He's been super hardy, been with me since the beginning, and survived all my noobish mistakes of the past.

20210117_180107.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basslets, like either royal gramma or purple cap.

I love my purple cap, guards his cave most of the time (see pic) and keeps to his little area in the bottom of the tank and never bullies anyone despite being the biggest fish in my tank (close to 4 inches now). He's been super hardy, been with me since the beginning, and survived all my noobish mistakes of the past.

20210117_180107.jpg
I was interested in a royal gramma, I was just worried I’d have issues with my dottyback even thought it’s very small

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in a royal gramma, I was just worried I’d have issues with my dottyback even thought it’s very small
O shoot ur right,, sry forgot their incompatibility with pseudochromies,... hmmm

I guess whip out the compatibility chart from LA and see what species are options remaining? I would just try to stick with either something less territorial or just small in general then.

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O shoot ur right,, sry forgot their incompatibility with pseudochromies,... hmmm

I guess whip out the compatibility chart from LA and see what species are options remaining? I would just try to stick with either something less territorial or just small in general then.
Alright thanks

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back