Firefish hiding for a few days. How long to wait?

FunkEngine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My helfrichi decided to start hiding about 3-4 days ago. I've only seen him twice in that time and only just poking out of the rock for a few seconds. The day that he was out before (4 days) that he was not that interested in the mysis at feeding time and only ate one piece after a while of just watching it. He was drawn out of hiding yesterday after several minutes of mysis floating by but only for a few seconds and he did not eat anything. I wasn't able to get a long look at him but on the one side of his body that I saw I did not see any spots or discoloration. He has been healthy and active previously in the last several months.

I have added a new fish, a small clown the day after he started hiding. Clown doesn't seem to be fighting with the other two fish at this time. Being that he was introduced the day after this began I don't think this is the cause, but may be a factor in the continued hiding.

How long should I give it before attempting to tear the rock apart to try to take action? Being that he isn't eating offered foods I don't want to wait so long as to let him starve himself to the point of no return.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely your firefish is intimidated by the presence of the clownfish. Firefish are skittish by nature and will dart into a hole in a rock if any threat is perceived.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish can start hiding for an extended period of time for any number of reasons. Disruptions in or around the tank, new fish added, any number of reasons. Don't go taking apart the rock, that will only make things worse.

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that's been hiding for 6 months since adding a foxface. She hides in a frag station. I squirt food into the station during feeding. I debated removing the station to force her out, but every time I've lifted it just to get her to interact she tries to jump out of the tank.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went into hiding for a month when I added my CBB. I never saw it once in the time it was hiding and thought it would starve. It got comfortable enough to come out during feeding at first and then progressively staying out longer and longer with each day.

OP
OP
F

FunkEngine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I might try directing some food under into the cave in the mean time. I was just concerned since this started the day before the clown was added and frankly my midas blenny was way more of a jerk at first than the clown has been and he stayed out that entire time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back