Fish ID help

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago, over the week of Thanksgiving, while snorkeling in the Keys I caught this little guy. Using the Marine Fishes of Florida (Snyder and Burgess) book my wife got as a gift a few years ago we think we -mostly she- have narrowed it down to a juvenile Clown Wrasse (Halichoeres maculipinna).

Can anyone help us confirm?

1000003895.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231218_234913874.TS~2.mp4
    70.2 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not a clown wrasse as those arent from the Caribbean.

That guys looks like some sort of goby, cant tell exactly by the pic
Actually, clown wrasse are native to the Caribbean and Western Atlantic (so the East Coast of the US). My first thought was a cleaner goby (Elacatinus sp.), but it's not a match.

A map of the distribution of clown wrasse:
OP, I can't tell for sure from the pic (I'm on mobile so I can't see the video), but I think you may be right on the ID. If you can get some closer pics (or if someone can see the video), we might be able to confirm it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago, over the week of Thanksgiving, while snorkeling in the Keys I caught this little guy. Using the Marine Fishes of Florida (Snyder and Burgess) book my wife got as a gift a few years ago we think we -mostly she- have narrowed it down to a juvenile Clown Wrasse (Halichoeres maculipinna).

Can anyone help us confirm?

1000003895.jpg
This doesn’t look to be a Halichoeres species but instead a Thalassoma species. Specifically Thalassoma bifasciatum. Be careful as he matures - they get large and can become rather aggressive especially towards smaller fish and inverts.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn’t look to be a Halichoeres species but instead a Thalassoma species. Specifically Thalassoma bifasciatum. Be careful as he matures - they get large and can become rather aggressive especially towards smaller fish and inverts.
We were looking at juveniles of the Blue head Wrasse but couldn't see the prominent spot on the dorsal fin that this one has.
definitely not a clown wrasse as those arent from the Caribbean.

That guys looks like some sort of goby, cant tell exactly by the pic
Maybe there are different types of Clown Wrasses (not proclaiming to be an expert) but Halichoeres maculipinna is native to Florida.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, clown wrasse are native to the Caribbean and Western Atlantic (so the East Coast of the US). My first thought was a cleaner goby (Elacatinus sp.), but it's not a match.

A map of the distribution of clown wrasse:
OP, I can't tell for sure from the pic (I'm on mobile so I can't see the video), but I think you may be right on the ID. If you can get some closer pics (or if someone can see the video), we might be able to confirm it.
I will try to get a better photo as this little guy doesn't stop moving, maybe I can pull a decent still from the video.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were looking at juveniles of the Blue head Wrasse but couldn't see the prominent spot on the dorsal fin that this one has.

Maybe there are different types of Clown Wrasses (not proclaiming to be an expert) but Halichoeres maculipinna is native to Florida.
Not the best photo but here’s one;
IMG_8284.jpeg

All Bifasciatum juveniles/females have that spot but the males do not.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys, when I get home tonight I will try to get some clearer photos - this fish doesn't stop moving except for split-second pauses.

Right now, because of his small size, he/she is in my wife's 20gal but will eventually move into my 240gal. In the past month the fish has more than doubled in size since I caught it.

I wouldn't be disappointed at all with a Thalassoma bifasciatum but would have preferred the Halichoeres maculippina.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back