Fish ID Help

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have looked online and also read through my Reef Aquarium Fishes book and can’t ID my fish. I purchased him at lfs and they incorrectly had him labeled as a yellow watchmen goby. Unless he is some type of subspecies I don’t believe this is correct. He is very active and friendly. Constantly swimming and only goes into rocks to sleep or hide. I included a video so you can see his swimming motion if that helps. He is a gold yellow color with blue eyes .

IMG_3800.jpeg IMG_3799.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3792.mov
    15.9 MB
OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely it . Not sure how I missed that in the book. Thanks for the help. I knew I cld post here and get an answer . Love this site !

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have looked online and also read through my Reef Aquarium Fishes book and can’t ID my fish. I purchased him at lfs and they incorrectly had him labeled as a yellow watchmen goby. Unless he is some type of subspecies I don’t believe this is correct. He is very active and friendly. Constantly swimming and only goes into rocks to sleep or hide. I included a video so you can see his swimming motion if that helps. He is a gold yellow color with blue eyes .

IMG_3800.jpeg IMG_3799.jpeg

Midas blennies have an issue where they eat well, but get really skinny and many of them die. This one is already a bit thin. Here is a post I started about that issue:

Jay

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing fish when i had 1 in my 90 i downgraded to a 20 and would love to get 1 again but i think a 20 is abit small for them :(

had him for like 3 years he never got skinny and died like jay said he was very easy to care for i downgraded so rehomed all my fish to a 500 gallon tank

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies have an issue where they eat well, but get really skinny and many of them die. This one is already a bit thin. Here is a post I started about that issue:

Jay
Wow thank you for making me aware. I would never have thought that. They are very aggressive grabbing the bits of food during feeding time. I did notice they had issues biting some of the fish pellets and swallowing them. I just crumble some of the pellets when feeding and they have no issue gobbling it down now. I have always done frozen one day and pellets the next for a while . I use P.E. Pellets and frozen enriched mysis. Unless it is an internal issue , he is a very strong eater as of now . I will keep an eye on him. I also have a mandarin goby that I have kept for over a year and I culture my own copepods for him recently, so I am use to picky eaters. Thanks for educating me and I’ll keep an eye on lil buddy

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Ok , so even if he is eating good - keep an eye on his weight. I will try and feed 4 x a day like you suggest. Thx

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back