View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be any of the Ctenochaetus species except:
Strigosus
Hawaiiensis
Striatus
Binotatus (Unless it’s an extremely young specimen that hasn’t developed the twin spots yet).

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a square tail to me... by the shape of the tail in your pic. Ctenochaetus truncatus. They are sometimes called Indian Kole tangs. Not to be confused with the Hawaiian Kole.

Juvie's are yellow and eventually transition to the brown/purplish body.

p-37451-tang.jpg

74vppQ5mAl.jpg

ACiRtK96Dl.jpg

Same fish as above but adult colors.

ctenochaetus-strigosus-kole-tang-1-3.jpg

Kole vs Squaretail:

I think this is the closest comparison I have seen. I'll definitely pull out the dlsr and get a better picture but that little guy is always on the move lol. I'll keep this thread updated if he starts changing colors with time.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long wait! But this is the best I could get. Sucker is quick lol. Slight editing to bring about his true to eye color. Definitely has distinct blue streaks on dorsal and anal fins.

Attachments

• 20210821221236_IMG_5916-01.jpeg
    20210821221236_IMG_5916-01.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him at a great price and I like him so don't really care what he is but my curiosity is intrigued on what he is "labeled" as lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long wait! But this is the best I could get. Sucker is quick lol. Slight editing to bring about his true to eye color. Definitely has distinct blue streaks on dorsal and anal fins.
This has crossed off Ctenochaetus trunctatus. I can see lines of the adult coming in whilst spots are on the face. I do believe you could have a juvenile cyanocheilus or the blue lipped bristletooth.

However with the tail shape now taking place, it could also be Ctenochaetus binotatus as the mouth colour has yet to show as a true blue colour and is just a bit lighter than the main face.

Due to the blue lips being there just not as bright and closer to the main face colour I do believe it’s going to be the Blue Lipped Bristletooth and not the Blue Eye Bristletooth.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think C. cyanocheilus is probably right. At this point, I don't think truncatus.

Please keep us updated in a couple months.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back