Fish id?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 8 months ago I ordered a trio of blue/green chromis. I got an extra in the order that was a “gold chromis”. He was like 2 cm when I got him, super small. He has never hung out with the chromis which I thought nothing of since they Are weird. But Ive been keeping an eye on him for a little and he is starting to get a temper. Which I expected being in the damsel family and all. But this dude has grown like a weed and is way bigger than the chromis he came with and turned from gold to a dusty black color in the last few months. Now he is starting to get. Stripe under his eye. Looked and looked at other pictures of damsels to see if I found one like him but no dice. Any one have any idea what kind of damsel he is? Trying to figure out if he is one of the huge ones and going to get bigger than a chromis? Not the best picture, the dude hates cameras for sure

IMG_2789.jpeg IMG_2788.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of its juvenile stage (i.e. from when it was golden in color)? Was it gold with two black, horizontal stripes?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of its juvenile stage (i.e. from when it was golden in color)? Was it gold with two black, horizontal stripes?
Let me look. And it might have been, I just remember him being a really bright gold like his back fin in one of the pictures

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So about 8 months ago I ordered a trio of blue/green chromis. I got an extra in the order that was a “gold chromis”. He was like 2 cm when I got him, super small. He has never hung out with the chromis which I thought nothing of since they Are weird. But Ive been keeping an eye on him for a little and he is starting to get a temper. Which I expected being in the damsel family and all. But this dude has grown like a weed and is way bigger than the chromis he came with and turned from gold to a dusty black color in the last few months. Now he is starting to get. Stripe under his eye. Looked and looked at other pictures of damsels to see if I found one like him but no dice. Any one have any idea what kind of damsel he is? Trying to figure out if he is one of the huge ones and going to get bigger than a chromis? Not the best picture, the dude hates cameras for sure

IMG_2789.jpeg IMG_2788.jpeg
Yellowtail damsel - non juvenile colors

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have one of him when he was little, very evasive when it comes to a camera

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellowtail damsel - non juvenile colors
I just looked that up, I have one and he doesnt look like that if this is the fish youre referring to

Attachments

• IMG_2790.png
    IMG_2790.png
    494.6 KB · Views: 22

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have one of him when he was little, very evasive when it comes to a camera
Look up Neoglyphidodon nigroris (sometimes called the Yellow-fin damsel; Edit: more commonly known as the Black-and-Gold Chromis), and see if that’s a match.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Neoglyphidodon nigroris (sometimes called the Yellow-fin damsel; Edit: more commonly known as the Black-and-Gold Chromis), and see if that’s a match.
Indo pacific yellow tail

1697513891355.png
Ah yes this is totally what he is! This picture of them looks exactly like mine! Ill research them more to see size and stuff since mine is massive compared to my chromis! The “scarface” damsel name im assuming is just another name for them?

IMG_2792.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god does it really get 5-6 inches?? Also listed as aggressive too?? Crap! Well good thing that tank is kinda turned into a damsel dominated tank I guess lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back