Fish Ideas - 55g Mixed Reef, upgrading to Red Sea 425XL in a couple months

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I suddenly find myself in the market for some new fish. A month ago, the tank was decently stocked with five fish - a Bartlett's anthias, a Carpenter's flasher wrasse, a Lubbock's fairy wrasse, a pink skunk clown, and a yellow-headed sleeper goby. Well, the anthias anthiaed, the Carpenter was bullied to death by the Lubbock, and the Lubbock managed to find the one quarter-inch gap in my lid and was an ex-wrasse by the time I found him.

So, now I'm in the market for some new fish, and I've honestly gone through the wringer with fish in this tank over the past year. Between my tank failing and the recent string of bad luck, I've lost more fish in the past year than I did the previous three years combined. So for now, I'm looking for one or two fish in the easier-to-care-for category - if something is known for being difficult to get feeding on frozen, or if it needs 5 feedings a day, I don't think I have the energy for something like that. I don't mind if they're a little expensive, but $150 is probably the top end of what I'm looking for.

Other than that... sky's the limit. I have the usual assortment of clean-up crew - snails, hermits, urchins - and a very heavy population of spaghetti worms. They do a great job keeping detritus under control, so I'd like to avoid anything that would predate the worms.

I have a slight preference to unusual or rarer fish, but there's something to be said for the tried and true as well. And I'm not afraid to push the envelope when it comes to future size of the fish a little... I'll be upgrading to a Reefer 425XL later this year.

Lucky Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might consider a tang in the bristle tooth family as some are less common, stay a good size for a 425xl, and perform algae cleaning duty. White tails, Tomini, twinspot, etc.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back