Fish Identification

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish is this?? Its labeled as white cheek tang on LA but is this accurate? She's currently in DD.

All the white cheek tangs I've ever seen are darker in color with an iconic white cheek smear. This almost seems like an albino powder tang or something.

I am strongly tempted to purchase... would it change color in the future?

whitecheek.jpg

Redbeardz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That definitely looks like a white cheek/ gold rim tang. The powder brown tang has more of the white cheek smear your talking about. It will definitely get darker. They turn pale like that if something spooks them or if they’re very young yet.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really matter what the place calls it . It’s awesome and if you like it buy it and figure the name out later or make a name like half of the companies do anyways . I’d buy it , It’s amazing !!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like a stressed tang to me. I would not purchase it in hopes it stays white.

You can see it's white cheek. My bet is it will return to normal color when it is in a nice happy environment and not ticked off being taken photos of in a box lol Probably just a little tang... they often can be pale.

1660867974652.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really matter what the place calls it . It’s awesome and if you like it buy it and figure the name out later or make a name like half of the companies do anyways . I’d buy it , It’s amazing !!!
hahah, that is very very trueee!!!

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like a stressed tang to me. I would not purchase it in hopes it stays white.

You can see it's white cheek. My bet is it will return to normal color when it is in a nice happy environment and not ticked off being taken photos of in a box lol Probably just a little tang... they often can be pale.

1660867974652.png
This was a small thought I had too but I thought LA wouldn't take this photo and advertise it publicly if the fish was that distressed (I HOPE)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a small thought I had too but I thought LA wouldn't take this photo and advertise it publicly if the fish was that distressed (I HOPE)

People take photos of fish out of the water holding them in their hands :p

It is just a normal reaction for a small tang to be stressed while being put somewhere it can't hide so they can get a photo. They have a 'photo tank' they move the fish to. That is why they all have the same sand/background. Obviously catching and moving a fish is going to cause some stress. The fish can not hide in the rock as there is a clear acrylic barrier... otherwise fish would just go hide and not get photographed. It is a little acrylic photo prison :p

Here is how they do it...

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back