Fish Impact from PraziPro treatment

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 3rd day of single dose of PraziPro. My observation is that everyday fish get less and less enthusiastic about eating....AS an example my Blonde Naso is usually very aggressive with Nori and all food....now only “nibbles” on the nori and is not eating anything else. The fish are more jittery too....Before treatment they would always enthusiastically approach as I approached the tank, now they run the other way. If so I wouldn’t classify it as “extremely safe and gentle”. The fish reaction actually is surprising based on Hikari description and has me worried a bit....Is this normal when treating with PraziPro? Thx

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish may have another issue that the prazi is not treating. Watch carefully the respiration rate and fish behavior. Fish can have gill parasites like velvet that wont show on skin and prazi wont treat.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. They are breathing a bit more labored and their behavior is different as mentioned above. How can you tell if it’s Velvet as I thought that did show up on the skin? The bit of labored breathing could be from the Prazi side effect of lower O2 levels. I’ve now pointed my power returns up so they agitate the water in my 625g tank. Thank you!

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to tell if it’s velvet right away unfortunately. If they’re breathing rapidly, acting jittery and not eating well then I would consider adding copper safe or copper power using the humble fish recommendations. You could switch from prazi pro to general cure to also include brook and Uronema treatment.

Good job on the water flow. The prazi wouldn’t really cause appetite suppression, I think you’re dealing with another issue or illness.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish may have another issue that the prazi is not treating. Watch carefully the respiration rate and fish behavior. Fish can have gill parasites like velvet that wont show on skin and prazi wont treat.

Prazi is great food for bacteria. If you notice it a few days after it could be a bacterial bloom hurting your O2. To combat this I usually have a cheap powerhead directed at the surface and and extra air stone in the QT. I usually reserve the prazi last for this reason and do two doses 3 days apart so I can then do a complete water change and get the bloom out of there.

It could also just be something else you have not noticed yet.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back