Fish in 125 gallon 6 ft long

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured ide get some thoughts and opinions. I currently have a lawnmower blenny, clown fish, six line wrasse, blue and purple tang. Was thinking about adding a watchman goby, yellow tang and bluethroath trigger. Is this to many tangs for the set up or fish?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have adult hippo, yellow and kole tangs in my 6 ft 125, along with a foxface, flame hawk, melanarus wrasse, 2 begaii cardnals and 2 huge engineer gobies. Seems to be enough room for everyone, and my nitrates don,t run too high. I added all of my tangs within a few months of each other. Not sure how the older residents will take to the newcomers.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have adult hippo, yellow and kole tangs in my 6 ft 125, along with a foxface, flame hawk, melanarus wrasse, 2 begaii cardnals and 2 huge engineer gobies. Seems to be enough room for everyone, and my nitrates don,t run too high. I added all of my tangs within a few months of each other. Not sure how the older residents will take to the newcomers.
Well that's just another thing is how they will take the trigger and tang lol. Does your hawkfish attack your shrimp or snails?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hawk doesn't seem to bother anything. I've had him for 2 years. From what I've read, he may be the exception though.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like having the story k I just listed should be fine for 125 gallon tank but my buddy said I shouldn't do it specially the tang and trigger. :/

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tangs are more aggressive than yellow tangs, having the purple first and adding a yellow after its settled could cause the yellow to never get a chance to settle into a pecking order.

Also Its a 125 so there is some swimming room, but as they age a six line may stop you from adding any fish just something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tangs are more aggressive than yellow tangs, having the purple first and adding a yellow after its settled could cause the yellow to never get a chance to settle into a pecking order.

Also Its a 125 so there is some swimming room, but as they age a six line may stop you from adding any fish just something to keep in mind.
Would you recommend a different tang? The purple is for sure a jerk lol

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend a different tang? The purple is for sure a jerk lol
If he’s already aggressive, might be difficult. You could attempt one from a different genus so there is less similarity, and use both an acclimation box and a mirror.

Could also do something that is similar looking to a tang but different diet like a pyramid butterflyfish.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont want the butterfly fish to jab at my coral though. Hmmm
Pyramid’s eat from the water column unlike most butterflies. These are your only reef safe butterflies :). They are also not aggressive to conspecifics like a lot of their relatives.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back