Fish in cycle levels to high

  • Thread starter Thread starter andrews55
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

andrews55

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2023
Messages
44
Reaction score
8
Location
Shropshire
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help I decided to go for a fish in cycle on a new tank I’ve done tests again today with Red Sea test kit and readings seem way too high is there anything I can do
Ammonia 0.8
Nitrate around 5-10
Nitrite around 0.5-1
Thanks
 
The only thing to keep an eye on is :Ammonia 0.8.
You domnt mention tank size....do small w/c's to keep ammon somewhat in check.
The rest isn't important.....and well within any safe zone.
Question....what fish did you use?
 
I got advised by the shop I’d be ok with jbl doing a fish in cycle but never again I’d rather sit and wait for it to cycle I’ve got two other tanks and I waited for them to cycle before adding fish in the past and tested them today to check I wasn’t getting off readings and there no problem just a bit worried about the ammonia tank size is 85 litres with sump 60 litre tank and I have clownfish in there thanks, so do you think I should leave it see what happens tomorrow when testing or do small water change I have been adding beneficial daily
 
ahh...a sturdy fish....I'll be OK. I used to cycle with Damsels all the time....just keep an eye on ammon....but to me, with those levels, you are getting a false reading somewhere, but thats a different thread. anyway, you should be ok.
 
ahh...a sturdy fish....I'll be OK. I used to cycle with Damsels all the time....just keep an eye on ammon....but to me, with those levels, you are getting a false reading somewhere, but thats a different thread. anyway, you should be ok.
Yes all I have is clownfish in there I might miss every other day of feeding as well that should help a little somewhat as well shouldn’t it? So you think leave doing a small water change for now? See what readings are tomorrow, I tested my other tanks before and had 0 ammonia 10 nitrate and 0 nitrite but they have been running probably about 6 months and didn’t do fish in cycle thanks
 
Yes all I have is clownfish in there I might miss every other day of feeding as well that should help a little somewhat as well shouldn’t it? So you think leave doing a small water change for now? See what readings are tomorrow, I tested my other tanks before and had 0 ammonia 10 nitrate and 0 nitrite but they have been running probably about 6 months and didn’t do fish in cycle thanks
you'll be fine...just only need to test ammon.....how long has the tank been up?
 
Tanks been set up for around 2 weeks now with fish in would transfer fish to other tanks but they also have clowns in and a few other fish would that possibly push my tank over if it’s quite full in there now or just be a safer option and do some more water changes for a few weeks why I let other tank cycle I could probably put them in a small holding/fry basket for a few weeks until tank gets more stable possibly or at least safer, I don’t have any rock in the tanks but I think my lfs sells live rock could possibly get some tomorrow
 
I’m nearing the end of a fish-in cycle and I agree it’s been so stressful! That is a big tank though, if you do small water changes maybe twice a week I think they’ll be fine. Ammonia will come down soon.
 
I’m nearing the end of a fish-in cycle and I agree it’s been so stressful! That is a big tank though, if you do small water changes maybe twice a week I think they’ll be fine. Ammonia will come down soon.
Yes I don’t think I’ll be doing one again too much worry would rather wait until it’s ready and I know I’m safer, I was told not to do water changes for 6 weeks because of removing beneficial bacteria but at the minute I’m thinking might be a little safer to do a few little ones over the week but will this mess up my cycle? Thanks
 
for the Ntrates to show up, I wouldnt worry much.....its almost done anyway
Ok thank I’ll keep adding beneficial and hope it doesn’t rise anymore if so I’ll do small water changes through the week and hopefully I see it out to the end to do a bigger water change
 
Ok thank I’ll keep adding beneficial and hope it doesn’t rise anymore if so I’ll do small water changes through the week and hopefully I see it out to the end to do a bigger water change
I wouldnt even bother with that anymore either....but you do you.....
 
Yes I don’t think I’ll be doing one again too much worry would rather wait until it’s ready and I know I’m safer, I was told not to do water changes for 6 weeks because of removing beneficial bacteria but at the minute I’m thinking might be a little safer to do a few little ones over the week but will this mess up my cycle? Thanks
I was changing once every 2-3 days and running the skimmer and I think that stalled the cycle. No skimmer (unless visible food is in the water) and 10% water change 1-2 per week left my tank in a good place.
 
Ok thank you for your help I’ll try ride it out hopefully it gets better
 
I was changing once every 2-3 days and running the skimmer and I think that stalled the cycle. No skimmer (unless visible food is in the water) and 10% water change 1-2 per week left my tank in a good place.
Yes I don’t have skimmer running have added some purigen to try help combat some of the possible foods or things the other day
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new