FIsh in QT struggling

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved 1 clown in a qt. This was done when his mate was struck with ich or possibly velvet and I lost her. I set up a QT to treat the remaining clown and let the tank go fallow. He has been very active and eating during this time. this morning he is staying near the bottom, his breathing does appear to be labored. No detectable ammonia checked with redsea and the alert badge. salinity 1.025. Other than the breathing no detectable issues, no spots, etc. There is a little detritus in the bottom and he still seems to want to eat it when it floats by but this is a fish that is always out, always at the top, ready to greet you. suggestions?

there is .8 copper in the system at the moment (realized i purchased the wrong hannah checker so didnt go higher until i could test above 1). I did a small water change (maybe 10%) just trying to get some of the detritus out. im not sure exactly what it is so i was just trying to remove it. I do have an airstone going as of about an hour ago

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is .8 copper in the system at the moment (realized i purchased the wrong hannah checker so didnt go higher until i could test above 1).
Is that Coppersafe or Copper power, or ionic copper like Cupramine?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info and a photo and video using white lights will be needed to help diagnose.

Why do you suspect ich or velvet?
what is the breathing rate for the fish breaths per minute)?
How long have you had the fish?

See link below

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a photo and video using white lights will be needed to help diagnose.
Yes, that would be ideal.
fritz coppersafe
You will want to get the copper safe up to the 1.75-2.5 ppm range right away, if you suspect velvet or severe ich. The clown can handle it.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i get it. the coppers gotta be above 2.0. but i dont have a way of measuring above one until amazon delivers the HR tester today. I purchased what i thought was the correct hannah unit but realized after the first measurment that I had gotten the wrong one. as i do not want to overdose the tank im in limbo until i get that delivery

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info and a photo and video using white lights will be needed to help diagnose.

Why do you suspect ich or velvet?
what is the breathing rate for the fish breaths per minute)?
How long have you had the fish?

See link below
working on this. pictures i can handle, video ill have to figure out how to do that. I dont have a youtube so ill figure out how to set that up.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the link where we discussed ich and then possibly velvet.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i get it. the coppers gotta be above 2.0. but i dont have a way of measuring above one until amazon delivers the HR tester today.
Do you know how many mLs you added to get to 0.8 ppm?

Or, to get to therapeutic range, it should take a little more than 1 mL per gallon.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
79EB85DB-259D-4922-90D9-B583AC19D16F.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t catch this behavior because he swims away when I try to take the picture but occasionally he lays on the bottom sideways. No for long but he’s done it a few times

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing 112 per min. Really hard to
Say that’s completely accurate but that’s what I counted.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new symptom. he appears to be darting his head to the right quickly, fairly frequently. his time on the bottom is increasing

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new symptom. he appears to be darting his head to the right quickly, fairly frequently. his time on the bottom is increasing
Head shaking can be a flukes symptom. Treatment for that would be Prazi. General Cure is Prazi + Metro

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if Prazi is the reccomendation (ill wait until thats the consesus), I can't add that with the copper in the water right? based on earlier message i did bring the copper up by dosing 10ml more brining copper to 1.75 (checker just got here).

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he appears to be declining. I appreciate everyones help so far. Should i continue to boost copper to 2.5 or should i consider prazi. I do not have enough water on hand to pull out the copper. I could dose prazi into the QT w/ the copper at 1.75 , there is an airstone going full force. alternativly i could transfer the clown into the DT (currently fishless. Has hermits, snails, 1 shrimp, couple zoa frags). and treat in the DT?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back