FIsh in QT struggling

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the link where we discussed ich and then possibly velvet.

OK. In the future I suggest that you not start a new thread when you are addressing a continuing even such as this. We see so many similar questions and threads that we are not able to immediately recognize when a new thread has history that can be valuable.

If the ailment is either ich or velvet, you need to get the concentration to the 2.25 - 2.50 ppm immediately. Anything lower will not work and a slow ramp up can be disaster.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. In the future I suggest that you not start a new thread when you are addressing a continuing even such as this. We see so many similar questions and threads that we are not able to immediately recognize when a new thread has history that can be valuable.

If the ailment is either ich or velvet, you need to get the concentration to the 2.25 - 2.50 ppm immediately. Anything lower will not work and a slow ramp up can be disaster.
ok. this fish showed 0 symptoms during that event. i only made a new thread so i could tag emergency, the previous thread did not warrant such a tag. Ill do different next time.

So ramping straight to 2.5 i can do. that does go against the qt protocols listed on here which is why I have done it this way. dosing to 2.5 now

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, video will help determine if the problem is ich, velvet or flukes. As mentioned, head shaking and flashing (scratching gills on the sand or other objects) is an indicator for flukes. You may be fighting several problems simultaneously. Also, with clownfish, we need to be certain Brooklynella is not the culprit. It requires a much different medication protocol. With your tester, you may want to dilute your sample to a 10 part saltwater without copper to 1 part sample. then multiply the test result by 10 to estimate the concentration.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. this fish showed 0 symptoms during that event. i only made a new thread so i could tag emergency, the previous thread did not warrant such a tag. Ill do different next time.

So ramping straight to 2.5 i can do. that does go against the qt protocols listed on here which is why I have done it this way. dosing to 2.5 now
Yes. I just noticed your new checker has arrived. I assume you had been at .80 for a while then you have ramped up to 1.75. So, either now or in several hours I would go to the full dose. I'm basing this on your description while I would feel better if we were able to see photos/videosw.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did post a video and a couple pictures on the first page.
let me know if its not coming through though?

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I just noticed your new checker has arrived. I assume you had been at .80 for a while then you have ramped up to 1.75. So, either now or in several hours I would go to the full dose. I'm basing this on your description while I would feel better if we were able to see photos/videosw.
it was at .8 for about 24hours.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the photos when they appeared in our back and forth discussions. Sorry. Difficult to tell much since the clownfish is predominantly white. With the death of the other and the behavior you see, I would continue with the QT as we discussed. Count the number of breaths in 10 or 15 seconds and extrapolate. The estimate you made is high but not as high as it could get if velvet is the culprit. Be on the lookout for mucus or slime on the body and around the gills.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here’s the update. Copper is at 2.44. He appears to be a little better. Not 100% back to the top but he’s on his side a lot less. He did eat for me like usual. His spots are back on his fins. Picture below.
123E2A55-EAF1-483D-86CA-5CD05BFFD360.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the photos when they appeared in our back and forth discussions. Sorry. Difficult to tell much since the clownfish is predominantly white. With the death of the other and the behavior you see, I would continue with the QT as we discussed. Count the number of breaths in 10 or 15 seconds and extrapolate. The estimate you made is high but not as high as it could get if velvet is the culprit. Be on the lookout for mucus or slime on the body and around the gills.
I did it based on 15sec. If anything my count was low. But as mentioned above I am seeing some signs of improvement. The night will tell. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I found the clown dead tonight. He had stopped acting weird. Was actively swimming and eating yesterday. Dead today. Very frustrating. He was a great little fish.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible maybe this was flukes and Ich/velvet? This is how i found him. Is that a fluke coming out of his gill?

7401F2D0-C083-4D17-97ED-21440B210612.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back