Fish-In vs. Fishless Cycling

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
537
Reaction score
494
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am of the opinion that fishless cycling is the way to go. It can take more time but all in all it saves you money and it doesn't sacrifice a fish. A lot of fish used for fish in cycling tend to be on the aggressive side as they are hardy. So then you're kind of stuck off the bat with a territorial fish and have to add in fish around it. Fish in cycling is the way most people used to get started with a tank, but do you think it has any more benefits then doing a fishless cycle?
 
I personally am of the opinion that fishless cycling is the way to go. It can take more time but all in all it saves you money and it doesn't sacrifice a fish. A lot of fish used for fish in cycling tend to be on the aggressive side as they are hardy. So then you're kind of stuck off the bat with a territorial fish and have to add in fish around it. Fish in cycling is the way most people used to get started with a tank, but do you think it has any more benefits then doing a fishless cycle?
Not really imo. I'm with you on all parts; fish-in cycling looks good during the cycle, but doesn't really do much else in the positive.
 
My very first tank, I used Blue Damsels to cycle my tank. I wish I hadn't. They survived, but looking back at it. I feel bad that they had to go through the cycle. Now that I'm back in the hobby. I've since cycled two tanks without any fish.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new