Fish jumped but got it back in, should I treat?

Spacemonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I was doing tank maintenance and one of my clownfish jumped while I had the lid off, he likes to attack me whenever I have my hand in there and this time he was doing that when he jumped.
He fell behind the tank about 1.3m to the floor. When I got him out from under the tank (2 mins passed) he wasn’t moving.
I figured I had to try so I held him in the water moving him forwards to get some flow to him and he eventually came round. My question is that as he had some slight marks on his scales and seems to be swimming a little sheepishould I treat him with anything or just let him recover without intervention?

Rest assured next time I clean he’s going in a net or something, I just want to make sure he’s not going to die.
I’ve attached pics, you can just make out the white patches, they seem to be much better already.

IMG_3271.jpeg IMG_3270.jpeg IMG_3273.jpeg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar happened with my clown a while ago, I documented on my build thread. Anywho, I woke up to her on the floor so I don't know how long it was there. Almost dry, put her back anyway and she was alive.

Day 1 she looked like swimming was an issue, day 2 starting to develop a side racing strip where she was touching the floor. By day 3 she was swimming better. By day 4 or 5 finally eating again. It's been a while now and she's still has marks on her body but acts normal now.

I did not treat her at all, just good food, and clean water.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect that’s comforting to hear! Much appreciated and very happy that yours recovered too. More hardy than I thought they would be.
Same. I was really worried and posted a bunch about it on others active threads.... I was reassured by many to let her heal on her own. She's still missing a big chunk from her tail but otherwise mostly healed back up. I'm sure my fish was out longer than yours judging by how dry she was.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Sheogorath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Similar happened with my clown a while ago, I documented on my build thread. Anywho, I woke up to her on the floor so I don't know how long it was there. Almost dry, put her back anyway and she was alive.

Day 1 she looked like swimming was an issue, day 2 starting to develop a side racing strip where she was touching the floor. By day 3 she was swimming better. By day 4 or 5 finally eating again. It's been a while now and she's still has marks on her body but acts normal now.

I did not treat her at all, just good food, and clean water.
Same thing happened to me. Found my clown on the floor and thought it was dead for sure. Tossed it back into the tank and it barely moved for a minute before starting to finally swim. It swam in circles for a couple days and developed the racing stripe, but it started eating after 5-6 days or so and was completely healed in about 2 weeks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back