Fish jumped in before acclimated

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just brought home a new pintail fairy wrasse. I always acclimate fish for 1-2 hours. I use method where I roll bag down, put in take and use a magnet to hold it in place. The rolled bag part floats above water line. I think slowly add water until salinity matches. Well today I had just got bag in. Had added about 2 shot glasses of water and walked away. Came back 10 minutes later and fish is swimming in tank! It jumped out of bag into tank. Been about 45 minutes now and he seems ok. Swimming around the tank. Ate a little food I put in. My tank salinity was close to stores, from store to house only 25 minutes went by. How worried should I be or will it be ok?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey if it’s not stressed or eating I’d say good to go. May need to adjust procedure for a more sensitive fish so no repeats. Just sayin. Good luck

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the store's salinity is a close match to yours he should be OK. The main priority is to get temp and salinity matches which sounds like that happened. Even if my store's salinity is a match I still do a 30 min acclimation just to make sure the creatures get used to my tank's water but if I had one jump in my tank like yours did under those conditions I wouldn't be too worried.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just brought home a new pintail fairy wrasse. I always acclimate fish for 1-2 hours. I use method where I roll bag down, put in take and use a magnet to hold it in place. The rolled bag part floats above water line. I think slowly add water until salinity matches. Well today I had just got bag in. Had added about 2 shot glasses of water and walked away. Came back 10 minutes later and fish is swimming in tank! It jumped out of bag into tank. Been about 45 minutes now and he seems ok. Swimming around the tank. Ate a little food I put in. My tank salinity was close to stores, from store to house only 25 minutes went by. How worried should I be or will it be ok?
No worries

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back