Fish killer

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tang and two large clowns... no matter what fish i add they will kill it in a day... any ideas and tips you guys can share? I have tried using an acclimation box for a few days and as soon as i let the new fish out thats it they will get attacked till death. I have tried feeding really heavy every 30 minutes to an hour but still no luck. The tank is a red sea reefer 250 with enough rock and lots of hiding places.. i have now not added any fish for 3 months because of this

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is too small for a tang to feel it has enough territory, so it is being very aggressive to protect the space it does have, clowns can also be aggressive as they age. Your best bet is to rehome the tang. That would be best practice. Sumping the tang and adding more fish and letting them take terrioritu in the tank could help.

You could try adding more than one fish at a time to spread the aggression out, you can also try the mirror trick (put a mirror against the tank so the tang attacks its own reflection).

But the tang is likely to be very aggressive so long as it’s in a tank that is that size

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is too small for a tang to feel it has enough territory, so it is being very aggressive to protect the space it does have, clowns can also be aggressive as they age. Your best bet is to rehome the tang. That would be best practice. Sumping the tang and adding more fish and letting them take terrioritu in the tank could help.

You could try adding more than one fish at a time to spread the aggression out, you can also try the mirror trick (put a mirror against the tank so the tang attacks its own reflection).

But the tang is likely to be very aggressive so long as it’s in a tank that is that size
The Red Sea Reefer 250 is only 65 gallons? wow I thought they were bigger. They should call it the Red Sea 65 lol.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Reefer 250 is only 65 gallons? wow I thought they were bigger. They should call it the Red Sea 65 lol.

Actually 65 gallons is the total system volume, the actual tank volume is 54 gallons.

Really need to know which species of tang and clowns but agree, a tang in this size tank is unlikely to accept any other fish especially about his size.

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54 gallons ouch. Tang will really be a jerk until he gets a house instead of an apartment lol.

Believe it or not its not the tang as much that kills them its mainly the clowns. The tang just chases them around and then leaves fish alone but the clowns man they are aggressive

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Believe it or not its not the tang as much that kills them its mainly the clowns. The tang just chases them around and then leaves fish alone but the clowns man they are aggressive
Say it aint so. The clowns are killing? The are spawns of pennywise maybe. Get Clowns...
ok my humor needs work.

Back