OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the Ribbon Eels! I think for a 120 a Zebrasoma, a Bristletooth Tang, and a smaller Acanthurus Tang like a Lavender would probably be the best combo I can think of.

Or maybe you could do 2 Tangs and a Foxface?
Thanks! That’s probably what I will go with. What do you think of going with a blotched rabbit fish? Will they do as good a job as a foxface?

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) You mean the One Spot Foxface or another species? Some of them get quite large. I’d say make the Foxface your biggest fish if you get one.
I was thinking just the classic foxface lo. But I would def prefer a yellow blotched rabbit fish (siganus guttatus). How do you think that would work out?

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, have you started cycling your tank?
Nope, I’m super close. Just need to go down to Phoenix az to get my stand (it wouldn’t fit in the car with the tank when we went the first time.) I got most all my equipment, just need a skimmer,
Media reactor, one more vectra pump, and 2 more vortech pumps. I’m planning on using a cooler drilled w a hole for a dosing line in order to dos thawed foods throughout the day. So I needa pick that cooler up. I also need to talk w my plumber and make a plan with him. I am really bad at plumbing and I don’t wanna mess it up. Then the last thing I need is some brute Rubbermaid 55 gallon trash cans for my ato reservoir and my saltwater reservoir.
All the fish are gonna come from marine collectors so they are disease and pest free.

im super excited about this, it’s a dream come true for me. And you guys are making it even cooler by helping me figure out my stock list! Nothing beats the advice of Reefer!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry unfortunately not. :( It says the maximum recorded length of the Orange Spotted is about 17”, but “Common Length” (generally a good measure of the max size the average specimen is expected to reach, or maybe even on the high side for average) is still 10”.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry unfortunately not. :( It says the maximum recorded length of the Orange Spotted is about 17”, but “Common Length” (generally a good measure of the max size the average specimen is expected to reach, or maybe even on the high side for average) is still 10”.
Ok. Darn I didn’t notice that! I’ll think I’ll take your advice and get a one spot foxface instead! I remember them having a ton of personality. Thanks so much for helping me catch that!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ribbon eels the hardest part is just getting them to eat and making sure they cant get out or make their way into overflows or wave makers. They're pretty hardy when it comes to water conditions so once they're settled in and eating they're pretty good in the long term.

They will eat small fish that they can swallow so just make sure all the fish you get are bigger than them. Other than that you should be fine, and you already know shrimp will be hit or miss.

All that said they are some of the most beautiful eels in the hobby, definitely post updates once they're in the tank

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I’m super close. Just need to go down to Phoenix az to get my stand (it wouldn’t fit in the car with the tank when we went the first time.) I got most all my equipment, just need a skimmer,
Media reactor, one more vectra pump, and 2 more vortech pumps. I’m planning on using a cooler drilled w a hole for a dosing line in order to dos thawed foods throughout the day. So I needa pick that cooler up. I also need to talk w my plumber and make a plan with him. I am really bad at plumbing and I don’t wanna mess it up. Then the last thing I need is some brute Rubbermaid 55 gallon trash cans for my ato reservoir and my saltwater reservoir.
All the fish are gonna come from marine collectors so they are disease and pest free.

im super excited about this, it’s a dream come true for me. And you guys are making it even cooler by helping me figure out my stock list! Nothing beats the advice of Reefer!
Ok! Just so you know you can start the cycle without having all your extra equipment (pumps, skimmer, etc..)
With ribbon eels the hardest part is just getting them to eat and making sure they cant get out or make their way into overflows or wave makers. They're pretty hardy when it comes to water conditions so once they're settled in and eating they're pretty good in the long term.

They will eat small fish that they can swallow so just make sure all the fish you get are bigger than them. Other than that you should be fine, and you already know shrimp will be hit or miss.

All that said they are some of the most beautiful eels in the hobby, definitely post updates once they're in the tank
the only fish he plans on getting that would be that small is prob the chromis, and they are in danger during the night time (I’d guess).

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks so much for the advice. I’m gonna hopefully get the ribbons when they are small juveniles and the smaller fish when they are kinda mature. So that they are too big to fit in the eels mouths from the beginning. I’m gonna get my clowns, chromis, royal gramma all as bigger adults. I’ve got nem protects for my wave makers, and a tight fitting lid. I’m gonna get the ribbons from eliante at marine collectors (hopefully he can get me super healthy quarantined specimens that weren’t caught using cyanide). I think if I do it right the tank could be a real beauty.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Just so you know you can start the cycle without having all your extra equipment (pumps, skimmer, etc..)

the only fish he plans on getting that would be that small is prob the chromis, and they are in danger during the night time (I’d guess).
I’m gonna wait for my stand to start the cycle. Or I might get an extra rubber maid trash can and use that to start my cycle before I get my other stuff. Great idea! Would you dose extra organic carbon for the cycle if I’m using like 4 different brands of live nitrifying bacteria? Or would you just follow the advice for one of them and not dose extra bacteria food for the other strains?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna wait for my stand to start the cycle. Or I might get an extra rubber maid trash can and use that to start my cycle before I get my other stuff. Great idea! Would you dose extra organic carbon for the cycle if I’m using like 4 different brands of live nitrifying bacteria? Or would you just follow the advice for one of them and not dose extra bacteria food for the other strains?
Oh you definitely need to wait for that stand, just the other things you can do without. As for cyclone, I keep it simple. Put saltwater into tank, put turbo start, wait 4 weeks. If you want to do more, someone else will have to help!

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) It never hurts to be lucky xD
Very true! With a little luck, lots of advice and a lot of planning I think I can create something really awesome with this tank. Thanks again for the great advice, you definitely saved me from making some mistakes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back