Fish medication treatment

chez471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you meant to turn off the whole filter completely when you’re using treatment like kanaplex and metroplex with focus or just take out the charcoal? Like how do I do it? And for how long is the filter gonna be off or the charcoal taken out?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you meant to turn off the whole filter completely when you’re using treatment like kanaplex and metroplex with focus or just take out the charcoal? Like how do I do it? And for how long is the filter gonna be off or the charcoal taken out?
Just take out all your chemical filtration (Activated charcoal) until the medicine is out of your water or the bottle states when it loses its effect. You can keep your mechanical filtration as it is needed to take out debris and food.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chez471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take out all your chemical filtration (Activated charcoal) until the medicine is out of your water or the bottle states when it loses its effect. You can keep your mechanical filtration as it is needed to take out debris and food.
what I have is a canister filter and the cartridge filter. So I keep the cartridge filter off because it’s a media bag of carbon and take out the carbon in the canister filter?

Upvote 0

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I have is a canister filter and the cartridge filter. So I keep the cartridge filter off because it’s a media bag of carbon and take out the carbon in the canister filter?
Yeah, you don't want any carbon in your water because it will strip out the medicine. may I ask what you are treating for, and a canister filter will work for saltwater but I would recommend a small sump depending on your tank size.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chez471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you don't want any carbon in your water because it will strip out the medicine. may I ask what you are treating for, and a canister filter will work for saltwater but I would recommend a small sump depending on your tank size.
Gotcha. I am treating for fin rot and white blisters. It’s a 20 gallon so I didn’t want to invest so much money into a sump

Upvote 0

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I am treating for fin rot and white blisters. It’s a 20 gallon so I didn’t want to invest so much money into a sump
Alright, for a 20 gallon people usually use AIO aquariums but I can see why you went for the canister in your situation. If the medication you are currently using doesn't get rid of the bacteria then i would recommend Amoxicillin.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No- remove carbon and media

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should not mix kanaplex and focus unless you calculate the dose properly, as it can be toxic. Metroplex can be mixed with focus and food as long as you weight it out so that it is a 1 to 2% mixture. Otherwise, you would be better off dosing the water itself in a treatment tank.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chez471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not mix kanaplex and focus unless you calculate the dose properly, as it can be toxic. Metroplex can be mixed with focus and food as long as you weight it out so that it is a 1 to 2% mixture. Otherwise, you would be better off dosing the water itself in a treatment tank.

Jay
So if I put 4 mini spoons of kanaplex then how many spoons of focus

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
But how will my tank filter the poop and stuff if I remove everything in the filter?
Do not remove filter . . . Remove carbon and media such as phoszorb or any other used. Leave filter element in the filter unit. If element has carbon, cut the top and shake carbon out or use filter floss temporarily

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chez471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not remove filter . . . Remove carbon and media such as phoszorb or any other used. Leave filter element in the filter unit. If element has carbon, cut the top and shake carbon out or use filter floss temporarily
So leave the sponge Stuff and take out the carbon and the rocks

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I put 4 mini spoons of kanaplex then how many spoons of focus

Sorry, that's the problem, you can't do that easily. The proper dose for Kanamycin is 50 mg of drug per 1 kilogram of fish weight. Here is a post I made about that:

Jay

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back