Fish not eating since I got them

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a fire fish and a clownfish I have gotten 4 days ago. Neither of which have eaten. My clownfishes mouth keeps opening and closing rapidly. Can anyone help me out? Currently using Seachem Prime and Stability to counter some ammonia spike I just had at 0.25.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.MOV
    25.3 MB
OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a fire fish and a clownfish I have gotten 4 days ago. Neither of which have eaten. My clownfishes mouth keeps opening and closing rapidly. Can anyone help me out? Currently using Seachem Prime and Stability to counter some ammonia spike I just had at 0.25.

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are other parameters of tank

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this connected to your other thread or did you put new fish in the tank again?

OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea he posted this thread long after the dead fish thread so some kind of complete bafoonery is going on
I’m sorry; I have just been struggling with this whole new hobby. This post is after my last fish have passed away (Cardinal Pajama). However, prior to that passing my previous fire fish and clownfish died as well within 3-5 days of having them. I thought I have cleared the tank of any diseases/ammonia and got cleared by LFS test. So I decided to get another clownfish & fire fish and a small pajama cardinal. 3 days after I got those fish my pajama cardinal ends up dead. That is why I’m posting here as well. My other thread is to figure out what is wrong with my tank previously/currently. This post is to see if there’s anyone out there that can diagnose these symptoms.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry; I have just been struggling with this whole new hobby. This post is after my last fish have passed away (Cardinal Pajama). However, prior to that passing my previous fire fish and clownfish died as well within 3-5 days of having them. I thought I have cleared the tank of any diseases/ammonia and got cleared by LFS test. So I decided to get another clownfish & fire fish and a small pajama cardinal. 3 days after I got those fish my pajama cardinal ends up dead. That is why I’m posting here as well. My other thread is to figure out what is wrong with my tank previously/currently. This post is to see if there’s anyone out there that can diagnose these symptoms.

It takes 45-76 days to clear a tank of disease. The tank must remain with NO FISH for that long for parasites to die off in the tank.

Adding 3 fish at once is TOO fast. You should have bought just one (unless a pair).

Adding fish over and over hoping for a different outcome is likely not the way to go.

It sounds like you have had the fish 3 days and they are breathing heavy and hiding. This is not normal, they should be more settled after 3 days.

Prime may not detoxify ammonia at all. It claims to but this is debated.

How long did you cycle the tank for with stability? I believe it doesn't work as well as some other brands.

OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes 45-76 days to clear a tank of disease. The tank must remain with NO FISH for that long for parasites to die off in the tank.

Adding 3 fish at once is TOO fast. You should have bought just one (unless a pair).

Adding fish over and over hoping for a different outcome is likely not the way to go.

It sounds like you have had the fish 3 days and they are breathing heavy and hiding. This is not normal, they should be more settled after 3 days.

Prime may not detoxify ammonia at all. It claims to but this is debated.

How long did you cycle the tank for with stability? I believe it doesn't work as well as some other brands.
I cycled the tank after the first death with stability for about 4 weeks. After a 75% water change. My fire fish has finally began to eat after I turned on my wave maker. My clownfish is still hiding and breathing heavy. Any ideas of what I can do right now?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled the tank after the first death with stability for about 4 weeks. After a 75% water change. My fire fish has finally began to eat after I turned on my wave maker. My clownfish is still hiding and breathing heavy. Any ideas of what I can do right now?

that is good. I would not do anything at this point except maintain water quality and keep lights dim and monitor for any more odd behavior, scratching, flashing, red gills, etc.

OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is good. I would not do anything at this point except maintain water quality and keep lights dim and monitor for any more odd behavior, scratching, flashing, red gills, etc.
Update: Clownfish has died

firefighters still very active

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Clownfish has died

firefighters still very active
It sounds like the clown has faced ammonia burns. When I was dealing with ammonia I had the same symptoms on all of my old fish.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire fish has finally began to eat after I turned on my wave maker. My clownfish is still hiding and breathing heavy. Any ideas of what I can do right now?

Keep the WaveMaker on and pointed at the surface. Could be ammonia issue, could be disease, but it could also be an O2 issue if you had the pump off.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add more fish right now and keep just the firefish for a few weeks. If the clown had disease, you don't want to be putting more fish in there. You want to monitor the firefish to make sure it does not become sick.

Again, do not drip for 2-3 hours if salinity is close to the same. Do 30 min. If you don't have your own refractometer, get one.

Be sure you are topping off evaporation with RODI (NOT saltwater).

Back