FISH NOT SWIMMING AFTER PRAZIPRO

hyeyuenie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve noticed my betta's tummy being a bit bloated 2-3 days ago o bough frozen Daphnia and Prazipro today and picked up some new live plants. I think he’s eaither constipated or SBD due to parasite. I did 50% water change, took the carbon filter out and put 2ml of Prazipro into corners of my 10G tank and filter. I think I should have put 2.5ml but since the tank is heavily planted and it’s a new chemical I decided to start small. Fish wasn’t swimming much since yesterday but right now he really is just leaning on a lucky bamboo for entire afternoon and evening. Is it normal for fish to act like this after Prazipro?

I fed him bit of daphnia before Prazipro and plan on fasting him 2 days.
10g heated filtered (took out carbon filter) heavily planted tank, betta lives alone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hyeyuenie Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a question - is this a marine betta - or a freshwater betta? What does 'SBD' mean? I'm assuming it's freshwater. If so, as you know they breath air, and can look bloated from this. I'm not sure why you're adding prazipro? It is not normal for fish to act like that after prazipro - Is it still going up to the surface to breathe? Prazipro can reduce oxygen so aeration is important. Hope this helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all, I’ve noticed my betta's tummy being a bit bloated 2-3 days ago o bough frozen Daphnia and Prazipro today and picked up some new live plants. I think he’s eaither constipated or SBD due to parasite. I did 50% water change, took the carbon filter out and put 2ml of Prazipro into corners of my 10G tank and filter. I think I should have put 2.5ml but since the tank is heavily planted and it’s a new chemical I decided to start small. Fish wasn’t swimming much since yesterday but right now he really is just leaning on a lucky bamboo for entire afternoon and evening. Is it normal for fish to act like this after Prazipro?

I fed him bit of daphnia before Prazipro and plan on fasting him 2 days.
10g heated filtered (took out carbon filter) heavily planted tank, betta lives alone
Daphnia and others tell me this is freshwater. For the betta, I would not use Ptazi and instead aquarium or epsom salt as its likely dropsy.
Are you by chance using tap water? If so, switch to distilled or pet stores have Betta water in a bottle as Ph of water very important. Many owners tend to feed them pellets and if so, switch to brine shrimp

OP
OP
H

hyeyuenie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question - is this a marine betta - or a freshwater betta? What does 'SBD' mean? I'm assuming it's freshwater. If so, as you know they breath air, and can look bloated from this. I'm not sure why you're adding prazipro? It is not normal for fish to act like that after prazipro - Is it still going up to the surface to breathe? Prazipro can reduce oxygen so aeration is important. Hope this helps
Freshwater betta, SBD = swim bladder disease. He has been unusually bloated and not swimming as much since 4 days ago and I feed him plenty of food but he’s skinny. He wasn’t moving much even before the prazipro. He just lays on top of a plant around the top but I’ll put air stone in today.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Freshwater betta, SBD = swim bladder disease. He has been unusually bloated and not swimming as much since 4 days ago and I feed him plenty of food but he’s skinny. He wasn’t moving much even before the prazipro. He just lays on top of a plant around the top but I’ll put air stone in today.
Assumed as such. I mean - there is also the issue - of the longevity of bettas in general. Betta's live 2-5 years. It could be (depending its age - ) - be just old-age

OP
OP
H

hyeyuenie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daphnia and others tell me this is freshwater. For the betta, I would not use Ptazi and instead aquarium or epsom salt as its likely dropsy.
Are you by chance using tap water? If so, switch to distilled or pet stores have Betta water in a bottle as Ph of water very important. Many owners tend to feed them pellets and if so, switch to brine shrimp
He had the same symptoms before, which I treated with epsom salt and methylene blue bath. He pooped after a week and was instantly better so I’m hoping it’s the same. I feed him pallets during the day and frozen bloodworm or brine shrimp at night.

OP
OP
H

hyeyuenie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assumed as such. I mean - there is also the issue - of the longevity of bettas in general. Betta's live 2-5 years. It could be (depending its age - ) - be just old-age
Yeah, he wasn’t a baby when I picked him up from a dollar store and we just celebrated his 2 yr anniversary. Hope is just constipation

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back