Fish not well!

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where the idea of uncycled QT came from, but don't worry, I don't think you are the first to think this. QT is just that, quarantine, a place to observe new fish (or other critters) before adding them to the display tank. Given the fish will be in there a least a few weeks it needs a way to process/remove waste, that can be established bacteria or manual removal through water changes.

I keep a mesh bag of ceramic filter media in my sump at all times so I can setup a QT and have a fully cycled bio filter ready to go.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be advised, since this is a QT tank, that if you dose any antibiotic you will have to start over with the bacteria. Best recommendation is to buy a seachem ammonia alert badge to put in QT tanks. Much better than an API kit, but the API kit tells you what you need to know.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where the idea of uncycled QT came from, but don't worry, I don't think you are the first to think this. QT is just that, quarantine, a place to observe new fish (or other critters) before adding them to the display tank. Given the fish will be in there a least a few weeks it needs a way to process/remove waste, that can be established bacteria or manual removal through water changes.

I keep a mesh bag of ceramic filter media in my sump at all times so I can setup a QT and have a fully cycled bio filter ready to go.
Depending on QT method, water may be changed out frequently enough to not require cycling. Ammonia is managed through frequent water changes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back