Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finger Dragonet / Dactylopus dactylopus

b10.jpg

SCIENTIFIC NAME –Dactylopus dactylopus

COMMON NAME – Finger Dragonet

SIZE – 7.1" (18 cm)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE – 55 US Gal. (208 L)

FOODS AND FEEDING – The Finger Dragonet consumes finely chopped meaty foods, shaved shrimp, and vitamin enriched live brine shrimp. Should be fed a minimum of 3 times per day in a non-reef barebottom tank.

REEF COMPATIBILITY – Yes.

CAPTIVE CARE – It is difficult to provide sufficient food for long term success with the Finger Dragonet. A well established population of copepods is a plus, as is an established reef with a mature sand substrate. Only one male can be kept per tank and it may be aggressive towards other dragonets. This species should be housed with non-aggressive tank mates and provided with a large area of open substrate. The Finger Dragonet is a bottom feeder, so food must be available for a sufficient amount of time, with limited competition from other bottom feeders that may consume food too quickly. This fish will bury itself if it is threatened and sometimes at night.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this mean? non reef barebottom tank. REEF COMPATIBILITY-Yes

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gorgeous fish. they want you to pull the fish to a barebottom to feed is what i take from that. my blue mandarine dragonete does just fine feeding in my main display

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looking fish, although I think I still perfer the look of the mandarian. I might be wrong but I believe what it means about non-reef barebottom is that if you are keeping the fish in this type of setup that it will need frequent feedings since dragonets have a high metabolism and will feed all day off of pods. In a mature established tank there should be a well establised population of pods for the fish to feed off of unless there are other fish like wrasses that will compete for the pods. Just my understanding from the research that I have been doing in preparing for my future mandarian.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh?!?! And why don't we have one of these? :eek:oh:

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that non reef bare bottom reef compatible yes. What?

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat looking fish. I haven't seen them for sale yet but now I will keep an eye out.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it is okay if I bring this thread back up to the front. Has anyone had any of these in their tanks? I think it might be perfect for what I am looking for. Would love to hear about how anyone cares for them due to reading how difficult they can be.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back