Fish Only Sump Setup

Andyk28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup a 75 gallon tank with a sump system, the tank will be fish only but I would really like a guide on how to set up the sump to clear out the cloudiness quickly as well as be as efficient as possible. Any tips? I think this information could help a lot of big tank beginners as well.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The search function will provide a lot of answers, it’s fairly straight forward especially with fish only. Drill tank install said sump, plumb and done.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 150-gallon tanks, both FOWLR, and I feed heavily (average 8 or more times per day). I use a recirculating skimmer in the sump, and you wouldn't believe the 'green/brown gunk' it pulls out of the water; so I recommend a properly rated skimmer. ;)

OP
OP
Andyk28

Andyk28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which do you think would be a better first addition to the sump the skimmer or uv sterilizer

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer. How’d you like your fish swimming in THAT?!

Lol.

1623812542057.jpeg

Jacaine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to need both eventually, go with the skimmer first. Just my thoughts.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason my Hydor pulled out the green slime like a Swamp Monster would live in. Switched to a Reef Octopus, and now it’s Starbucks coffee with creamer. Same tank— go figure!? Lol.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one was greenish cause I did a deep cleaning but normally dark tea colored. Def. important if you have a huge bioload. It is not necessary to have uv. It does have its benefits though.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but which is easier and cheaper skimmer or uv

You have to understand that the skimmer and UV sterilizer are two different tools performing two completely different functions.

The skimmer will remove dissolved solids, helping to remove excess nutrients from water column. It also helps to provide aeration to the tank. It is basically a nutrient export tool with the added benefit of helping to provide oxygen to the system.

The UV sterilizer can help eliminate free floating algae and/or heterotrophic bacteria or parasites such as ich in it's free floating stage . It will not physically remove anything from the system. It's simply a tool to kill unwanted organisms in the water column.

Both are tools that are well documented to have positive effects on marine aquariums when needed.

I personally would start with a skimmer. I have considered a UV sterilizer, but have not seen a need for it yet. In my opinion, especially in a FOWLR system, you're going to want a pretty solid nutrient export system. A skimmer would probably be a good component of that nutrient export system.

Just a thought.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back