Fish or invert recommendations that eat chaeto

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help on finding a fish or invert that eat chaeto. Ive got chaeto growing wildly in my display. I was able to pluck it while it was a small amount but its slowly starting to take over and im not very fond of the look. Im guessing it was introduced on a frag?? im not sure.

Any help is much appreciated

Heres a few pictures

IMG_7217.jpg
IMG_7223.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bully honey damsel that had to come out of my display tank and I put him in my invert QT where I was QT'ing a ball of chaeto to add to my DT. I put him there until I could get him returned to the LFS then was going to start over with the 76 day QT of the chaeto. In a couple weeks it had eaten all the chaeto and this was on top of daily feedings. Not sure I'd recommend adding a damsel since they can be such bullies but he sure ate the chaeto like you are needing.

OP
OP
Soakem

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bully honey damsel that had to come out of my display tank and I put him in my invert QT where I was QT'ing a ball of chaeto to add to my DT. I put him there until I could get him returned to the LFS then was going to start over with the 76 day QT of the chaeto. In a couple weeks it had eaten all the chaeto and this was on top of daily feedings. Not sure I'd recommend adding a damsel since they can be such bullies but he sure ate the chaeto like you are needing.

That’s good to know. Thank you!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if a piece ever makes it through my sump and into my display my purple tang jumps right on it... I wish it had the same enthusiasm for algae haha

OP
OP
Soakem

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if a piece ever makes it through my sump and into my display my purple tang jumps right on it... I wish it had the same enthusiasm for algae haha

Unfortunately my tank is only a 45 gallon. I was thinking about “borrowing” a tang for a few weeks from a buddy but I dont know. I’m sure he would be a happy fish with an all you can eat buffet though.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my tank is only a 45 gallon. I was thinking about “borrowing” a tang for a few weeks from a buddy but I dont know. I’m sure he would be a happy fish with an all you can eat buffet though.
As long as it's a small tang 3" or smaller and for a short time then probably ok. It'll just start growing back once the tang is removed though.

OP
OP
Soakem

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's a small tang 3" or smaller and for a short time then probably ok. It'll just start growing back once the tang is removed though.

That is very true. I may need to just find a way to eradicate it all together. Unfortunately I haven’t found much info on killing chaeto though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back