Fish or invert recommendations that eat chaeto

  • Thread starter Thread starter Soakem
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Messages
57
Reaction score
88
Location
Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help on finding a fish or invert that eat chaeto. Ive got chaeto growing wildly in my display. I was able to pluck it while it was a small amount but its slowly starting to take over and im not very fond of the look. Im guessing it was introduced on a frag?? im not sure.

Any help is much appreciated

Heres a few pictures

IMG_7217.jpg
IMG_7223.jpg
 
I had a bully honey damsel that had to come out of my display tank and I put him in my invert QT where I was QT'ing a ball of chaeto to add to my DT. I put him there until I could get him returned to the LFS then was going to start over with the 76 day QT of the chaeto. In a couple weeks it had eaten all the chaeto and this was on top of daily feedings. Not sure I'd recommend adding a damsel since they can be such bullies but he sure ate the chaeto like you are needing.
 
I had a bully honey damsel that had to come out of my display tank and I put him in my invert QT where I was QT'ing a ball of chaeto to add to my DT. I put him there until I could get him returned to the LFS then was going to start over with the 76 day QT of the chaeto. In a couple weeks it had eaten all the chaeto and this was on top of daily feedings. Not sure I'd recommend adding a damsel since they can be such bullies but he sure ate the chaeto like you are needing.

That’s good to know. Thank you!
 
if a piece ever makes it through my sump and into my display my purple tang jumps right on it... I wish it had the same enthusiasm for algae haha
 
if a piece ever makes it through my sump and into my display my purple tang jumps right on it... I wish it had the same enthusiasm for algae haha

Unfortunately my tank is only a 45 gallon. I was thinking about “borrowing” a tang for a few weeks from a buddy but I dont know. I’m sure he would be a happy fish with an all you can eat buffet though.
 
Unfortunately my tank is only a 45 gallon. I was thinking about “borrowing” a tang for a few weeks from a buddy but I dont know. I’m sure he would be a happy fish with an all you can eat buffet though.
As long as it's a small tang 3" or smaller and for a short time then probably ok. It'll just start growing back once the tang is removed though.
 
As long as it's a small tang 3" or smaller and for a short time then probably ok. It'll just start growing back once the tang is removed though.

That is very true. I may need to just find a way to eradicate it all together. Unfortunately I haven’t found much info on killing chaeto though.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new