Fish parasites I.D. Probably Ich???

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I have a 91 gallon Red Sea reefer 350 g2+. Fish about a week ago seemed to break out with what I think is ich. I ruled out velvet because based on what I’m reading all the fish would be dead by now. I have one purple tang, 1 baby one spot foxface, 1 baby copperband, 2 clowns, and a leopard wrasse. Water chemistry is good, nitrates 10ppm, phos .03, nitrite 0,ammonia 0. I stick to weekly water changes to keep everything in line. I just want to know what everyone thinks this may be. I got polyp lab medic to treat the ich (at least what I think is ich). I’ve been dosing it since Monday. All fish are eating heavily and seem to be healthy otherwise. Purple tang shows the most signs symptoms(no other fish besides purple tang has cloudy eyes) I can post pics of the other fish too if needed. Would like to avoid pulling fish and qt them.

IMG_5615.jpeg IMG_5613.jpeg IMG_5619.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a UV or set up a QT. The purple is in bad shape. As long as they are eating give them live foods to help them stay healthy as they struggle with the disease. Others will insist on QT, what are you going to do?

OP
OP
JPR1212

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a UV or set up a QT. The purple is in bad shape. As long as they are eating give them live foods to help them stay healthy as they struggle with the disease. Others will insist on QT, what are you going to do?
Just go a uv today hooking it up as we speak. Any idea on what the cloudy eyes is?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go a uv today hooking it up as we speak. Any idea on what the cloudy eyes is?
Fish fighting heavy ich infection often get cloudy eyes. Get that UV running properly ( gallons / hour for marine tanks) according to the watts UV that you have. The kill rate relates to the watts and flow. It can take a month to make solid progress but if it is working then you should start seeing improvement in a few days. Keep the UV running at least a month or two to get this under control.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast are the fish breathing?
Ich is likely, and the cloudy eyes are possibly a secondary bacterial infection from the ich.
When it gets to this stage, pulling and treating is going to be the only really effective option, as most reef safe meds aren’t very effective and act more as bandaids.

OP
OP
JPR1212

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast are the fish breathing?
Ich is likely, and the cloudy eyes are possibly a secondary bacterial infection from the ich.
When it gets to this stage, pulling and treating is going to be the only really effective option, as most reef safe meds aren’t very effective and act more as bandaids.
Not very fast to be honest. It’s a little accelerated but nothing crazy as of yet. Been keeping an eye on it. I added another wave maker to the tank for extra surface agitation. Is there a way to give the fish any temporary relief? I read about fw dips but I don’t know much about it to be confident enough to do it.

OP
OP
JPR1212

JPR1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish fighting heavy ich infection often get cloudy eyes. Get that UV running properly ( gallons / hour for marine tanks) according to the watts UV that you have. The kill rate relates to the watts and flow. It can take a month to make solid progress but if it is working then you should start seeing improvement in a few days. Keep the UV running at least a month or two to get this under control.
I have an aqua top one that says good up 125gals and I have the cranked all the way up. https://fishtanksdirect.com/aquatop...MIpILYuKa1ggMVkITICh2T2Q1wEAQYBSABEgKIp_D_BwE

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ich management methods may help, it’s just that once the fish are covered like this it’s generally past the point of “management.”
You can treat with hyposalinity if you pull all invertebrates out.
Fw dips can buy relief, but they’d be put right back into the infected tank and if you’re going to the trouble of catching all fish, you might as well move them into qt.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqua top one that says good up 125gals and I have the cranked all the way up. https://fishtanksdirect.com/aquatop...MIpILYuKa1ggMVkITICh2T2Q1wEAQYBSABEgKIp_D_BwE
UV kill rate is flow related. It may seem anti intuitive but it needs to be flowing at ~75 gph for parasites to kill them with light exposure to UV.

Look around the net , or read the manual for proper flow recommendations for 13 Watts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back