Fish Petting: Good for you but what about your fish?

Do you think "petting your fish" is a good or bad idea?

• Good idea

Votes: 109 18.9%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 234 40.6%
  • Not sure but in for the comments...

Votes: 234 40.6%

• Total voters

JDarling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a triple red cockatoo (apistogramma cockatadis) that loved it. He would swim up to glass every time I walked by the tank and would wait for me. If the want to be petted then I see no harm in it as long as not to often. Definitely don't chase them.

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fish is reacting to the petting like it would to a cleaner wrasse or shrimp. We just don’t want to mess with the mucus coat. We all put our hands in our tanks and should have clean hands anytime we do that, so same applies to “petting”. Overall I think it is pretty cool!

Last edited:

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I spied this really cool "fish petting" video from @IranAquaria on IG and I loved it so much I think we should talk about it. Well, not the video but about petting your fish! Who does, is it bad for them, do you have photos stuff like that! :) So let's chat!

1. Do you have fish in your tank that allows you to PET them?

2. Do you think it harms the fish to PET them?

Bonus: Share a photo or video of you petting your fish. (only photos of live fish please) :p

The fact of the matter is that while it is generally not going to pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the fish it can expose the fish to potential contaminants, irritate the skin of the fish (especially if scaleless), and negatively impact the slime coat of the fish. This can in turn lead to negative effects as an indirect result. So as much as my koi and some select other fish to crave contact, I won’t entertain it unless I’m moving the fish for transferring purposes.

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def enjoy it. Look at that smile
d55200d932c24666b2bf066b0560eae6.gif
YIKES!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back