Fish Poo is the Magic coral food that's FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think fish poo is important, however I am also a big fan of supplemental feeding. I go as far as spot feeding the LPS with LRS and Hikari Mysis in my frag tank up to three times a week. My acans seem to appreciate this, and subjectively seem to grow faster.

Acan R2R resized.jpeg

There are also several experimental publications on the benefits of feeding baby brine shrimp to acropora and pocillopora. I also know that @hart24601's alkalinity consumption tightly correlates with when he feeds baby brine shrimp. When he started feeding BBS, his alkalinity consumption shot right up and when he stopped, his alkalinity consumption decreased correspondingly.

Last edited:

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that possible in an aquarium...you have a source for this?
"Around 40-80% of a hermatypic coral’s nourishment is derived from organic matter supplied by its photosynthetic symbiont. Around 10-50% of this carbon is released through the discharge of mucus. Some of the POM that is released into the open waters serves as a water-born particle trap delivering food and energy to filter feeders and detritivores (tube worms, nematodes, etc.). The easily-broken down DOM is either incorporated into particulates that may be exploited by both benthic and pelagic consumers or simply enters the microbial loop. Thus, coral exudates strongly promote the growth of heterotrophic bacteria that dwell in the water column. Reef-associated bacteria consequently proliferate at a rate that is approximately 50 times higher than that of those inhabiting the open ocean."

The Carbon Continuum: Heterotrophic Bacterioplankton and Reef Food Webs - Reefs.com

Feeding a tank or adding fish is not necessary if you have enough coral. Coral feed the bacteria and the bacteria and algae feed them. Fish are helpful yes but you don't need to add Heterotrophs to have Heterotrophy occurring in a tank.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont buy expensive non essential coral potions you would be able to save for a fish in time

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Around 40-80% of a hermatypic coral’s nourishment is derived from organic matter supplied by its photosynthetic symbiont. Around 10-50% of this carbon is released through the discharge of mucus. Some of the POM that is released into the open waters serves as a water-born particle trap delivering food and energy to filter feeders and detritivores (tube worms, nematodes, etc.). The easily-broken down DOM is either incorporated into particulates that may be exploited by both benthic and pelagic consumers or simply enters the microbial loop. Thus, coral exudates strongly promote the growth of heterotrophic bacteria that dwell in the water column. Reef-associated bacteria consequently proliferate at a rate that is approximately 50 times higher than that of those inhabiting the open ocean."

The Carbon Continuum: Heterotrophic Bacterioplankton and Reef Food Webs - Reefs.com

Feeding a tank or adding fish is not necessary if you have enough coral. Coral feed the bacteria and the bacteria and algae feed them. Fish are helpful yes but you don't need to add Heterotrophs to have Heterotrophy occurring in a tank.
maybe in a the ocean but i doubt in a closed system

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish poo is the magic sauce .....everything else just cost you money. How do you know your coral is getting any benefit from spot feeding him all the pre-made concoctions? Oh yes he eats it but does he get anything out of it or does the coral just expells it later at night when your dreaming about next Tank Build???

Magic is the last thing I want in a reef tank

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not even a natural food for ocean life
I could dig up the peer-reviewed articles and post them. But I suspect nothing is going to change your mind. I mainly jumped in this thread so that people were aware of the benefits of supplemental feeding and weren't blindly led astray.

Enjoy your fish poo coral food.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could dig up the peer-reviewed articles and post them. But I suspect nothing is going to change your mind. I mainly jumped in this thread so that people were aware of the benefits of supplemental feeding and weren't blindly led astray.

Enjoy your fish poo coral food.
there is no proof that feeding your coral improves your reefs health

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back